cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: Where's This Market Going? Say higher as

Folks get used to paying that USA supposed tariff surcharge of say +20%.

The USA govt is the world broker of most Everything and grain is just another of those things now.

Its a heckuva good deal for the USA govt....kinda like a global Tax if the USA can pull it off.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Where's This Market Going?

heres my $.02.
From the instant trump changed his tune to tariffs against china they began building storage to prevent this from ever happening again. After all this is food we are talking about not widgets,tv’s electronics etc. How would we feel?lets change places. we buy beans and they buy our widgets etc and we have billions of their money in the bank. And they say to us hey your selling too much to us and its not fair so we are putting a tariff on the stuff that u need most! like food. what would we do? put up storage and make sure they cant do it again!
im afraid the damage is done. maybe they will buy from us again but prices wont reach the levels we’ve had unless there is a disaster somewhere in the world. South America has another 12-20 million acres to bring into production and this is the perfect opportunity to do that!
Its one thing to overproduce and suffer the consequences of that but when we had the market going our way and then is snatched away because of one persons agenda im very very disappointed in my government. After all the Feds gave poorly managed banks and brokerage houses $750 billion in 2008 and then another trillion dollas a year later to bail them out nobody was worried about deficits then! who will help the severly hurt ag industry now?
Sec Perdue sez they have our backs. Thank you but actions work better with bankers than words.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

@hwr247

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

The way I understand, we did not put the tariffs on food(soybeans, pork, etc).  THEY DID  We put tariffs on the widgets we get from them.  Do I have this right or wrong?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

That is correct Clayton.  They put on tariffs for the media and traders drive down US prices, so the Chinese enduser buys and the Chinese government reimburses them.   Too early yet to say for sure, but let`s see if that isn`t the way it will work.  This is why Trump should put a "reverse tariff" on everything they put a tariff on, to ensure they don`t get any bargains.  I believe auctioneers call it a "buyers fee".

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

i agree.... yes you are right about the chinese putting tariffs on our beans. im wrong...
sad thing is its our own people that are killing our markets at the cbot! most countries in the world protect their own people not kick them when they’re down!!
0 Kudos