cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Where we are now

I'm ready right now, to sell 75% of my production.  The only thing holding me back, is the fear that 75% might wind up being half again more than I raise.  My corn isn't even tasseling yet, way too many variables to know what to do.  Even under irrigation, I once had only 35 BPA, when a heat wave hit bad, right at tasseling on one field.  Because of that, I had to buy a little corn, to fill my contracts.  Luckily, the prices were within a nickle of when I contracted, when delivery came due.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Someday we will be able to track farm sales in real time. If the data could be mapped it would show us where the graden spots are today. It would also show us where farmers are concerned about having enough to contract. Until then we will depend on accurate reporting on these board and other sources. Let's hope USDA gets it right tomorrow.

Here in western Ohio I am in the same boat as Neb, would love to lock in some of these prices but I don't want to have to buy grain to fill these contracts. Need to see a littl rain before our next sale, and not just a forecast for rain.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Nebr farmer

Do you have crop ins, and if so what policy. You may be covered well on  price if you have RP.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Good point.  I will need to think about that.  It would be easy if I could get a firm price on fertilizer, and fuel for next spring.  I'd sell enough to cover that.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

things are different --- rationing is MORE inelastic, it wil take hgher prices to do the same amount of demand cut.

assuming it stays rough out there.

C to really go to premium   over W,, more than last yr

0 Kudos