"Who's going to fill their shoes"... Got me thinking
Where have they gone

Jen....did she leave on a jet plane ?

Plausor (forgive the spelling), hope a yetti didn't get
Him in the PNW
9 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Who's going to fill their shoes ?

The LG ad keeps covering my screen...not best way to get new customers.

What happened to our organic fellow from the PNW.
Hope a big organic pumpkin didn't get him

Shaggy...hope him and scobby didn't wreck the mystery van and get bugger up

Did I miss anyone else, sorry if I omitted
Frequent Contributor

Careful there, Elcheapo! Ishmeal will banish you to the nether regions! Though shalt not badmouth the annoying, pain in the butt LG advertising!

Veteran Contributor

That is kind of interesting after I complained yesterday about the toxic LG ad the ad has not  reared it's ugly page filling head. Not even once. Wonder why it looks like it is still bugging other readers and not me?????????

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Go Android , you don't get all that junk popping up all the time.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I'm still alive Elcheapo! Just been busy buying organic wheat for, well, a darned good price to the farmer!
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Hi Guys...  I'm still here too.  We've had a really busy summer, spending the month of June in Florida (taking the grandkids to Disney World, etc).  July and August just got away from me, as I have been trying to get things done here at home.  My shop has needed to be worked on for some time.  It seems that we only had time to get things to the point where they were "usable", but usable many times doesn't mean "done".  

We have needed to update the electrical panel in our house for a long time, and with a bit of help from a local electrician I managed to get that changed out, and passed my electrical inspection.  Now I actually have covers on my boxes Smiley Wink

One of the neatest things we did this summer, going along with our electric rebuild, was our purchase of an electric car and we put an 8.2 Kwh solar system on our shed.  It should cover about 1/2 of our electric needs, as we use about 1800 Kwh per month.  So far - so good.

The electric car.  That's the neatest thing we purchased.  We bought a Nissan Leaf about 2 months ago.  The sticker was around $34,000.00, but then there is a $7500.00 tax credit and Nissan was offering a $5000.00 factory incentive, along with 0% financing for 6 years.  Our needs - the car needed to be able to get us from Cannon Falls to Red Wing (30 miles), Northfield (17 miles), up to Burnsville and Apple Valley (40 miles), and of course Rochester (50 miles).  These are all one way distances.  The car gets about 100 miles per full charge.  Going up to the city (Apple Valley, Burnsville) we stop at the Nissan dealer where we bought the car.  They have a 3 phase, 480 volt charger that will give us about a 20% charge every 10 minutes plugged in - and there's no charge to plug it in.  In Rochester, there are multiple charging spots, some free, some are charged to my credit card, but the system works well.

In the two months since we have had the car, we have taken our Jeep 3 times.  Love my Jeep - hated putting so many miles on it.  

The Leaf is comfortable, roomy, has heated seats and steering wheel.  No gas engine, so no belts, hoses, oil, antifreeze, etc.  Cost to run.  Way cool guys - my Jeep costs me about $0.16 per mile for just fuel.  My leaf - How about less than $0.02 per mile.  At 12 cents per Kwh, it costs us maybe 3 cents per mile, but we are able to charge it for 5 - 6 cents on the off peak between 11 pm and 7 am.  The sticker on the car shows something like 114 miles per gallon (equivelant), and that appears to be pretty close.  On the off peak, we are doing better.

The battery is supposed to last 5 - 10 years.  Like any battery, the biggest killer of them are heat.  The second, is cold.  Here in MN, the heat isn't too much of a concern, and, given that we have heated garages to store it in, and being retired, I don't need to get out in the real cold weather, nor does it need to sit out for 9 hours while I'm at work.  So it works for what I wanted - very well.  But I have a very defined set of circumstances that we looked at before we bought the car.  So far - we love it.  By the way, I first drove one of these when I was working down in Oklahoma.  I oved the car then.  Check them out if you get a chance.  They won't probably work for everyone, but what a great car if you can make it work for you.

Crops - ah yes.  Our crops here are among the best in the nation, from what I was going to Florida.  I haven't been out west this year, but I suspect that they can't be much better than here.  I saw it in my garden this summer - most productive garden I have EVER had - of course I was home more to take care of it.  

I will try and post some pictures up later, right now I'm down in the shop trying to get an early start as it's supposed to get fairly unbearable here today - hot, humid.  It's like I'm back in Florida.  Back to work....

Jen

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Wonderful to here from Jen and James !

Now what about the rest of the band ?
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jen  My son in law did that a couple of years ago. They love it. He works nights and uses the leaf for a work car. But they also use it for an errand car and transporting kids to school. The toyota van seldom gets used and that consumes quite a bit of gas. He is adding to the solar panel right now because he wants to cut the light bill. If I drove more I would follow his example but we put so few miles on the car that we use little gas.

MY brother in law has a family business where they do custom maintences for consumers along with carpenter work shingling and remodeling. He Installed a large solar panel system along with a goethermal heating and cooling system. He has a large office and shop complex along with his home. He also heats and cools a large swimming pool.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Elcheapo,
Pumpkin seed harvest starts in 2 weeks. It's a bumper crop due the consistent warm weather this year.
Wish I could post photos from my phone; kind of frustrating.
I no longer get alerts that my posts have been replied to either. Not sure what happened but this site isn't user friendly at times.
0 Kudos