cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Who's planting?

The market is keeping a close eye on planting weather for the next 10-20 days. Western Corn Belt farmers planting this weekend or next week could have a chance at the old saying of "plant in the dust, the bin will bust".

On Monday, the USDA will release its 2nd of the year Crop Progress Report. The average trade estimate for next week's corn planting is at a record 8 to10%. 

So, who's planting? How's it going in the ground?

Thanks for sharing,

Mike

0 Kudos
24 Replies
mvp farms
Veteran Contributor

Re: Who's planting?

Just got done seeding wheat.  Will start seeding sugarbeets sometime late next week, and roll into corn after that. 

Polk County MN

fringeacres
Veteran Contributor

90 % done corn in va. It has been dry but made for good planting. Spring is a month early planting is only a week early. Frost is possible tonight but the growing point stays underground for a couple weeks after emergence. We shall see????
0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

mvp farms,

Thanks. Did you see frost-like temps last night? It sounds like you are ready to go, weather permitting?

Mike

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

fringeacres,

Did you plant more corn this year? With plenty of time and weather left for planting season, are you contemplating putting more in?

Also, when do you expect to be able to harvest the corn that is in the ground now? What market will you have when that new-crop arrives, chicken operations, export, or other?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
fringeacres
Veteran Contributor

Same as usual as we rotate behind barley/wheat with double crop soybeans. Last year corn was a better budget this year d/c. It is hard to out guess in the fall so we just do what we do. Corn will come out last half of august without a drought. Poultry is big one Perdue/tyson. Last yr +20 out the field until labor day. This yr??
0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Everyone around here seems to be waiting for April 10th, the earliest planting date for crop insurance and replant.

I have a cousin who sells seed, and he says that there is such a long list of people wanting corn on the 8th and 9th, that he doubts he'll get anything else done those two days.  He's been sorting it in his spare time in preparation for the rush.

Ironically, I get some seed from him, and some from another guy, and the other guy didn't send me the e-mail yet, that my seed got to the warehouse.

0 Kudos
mvp farms
Veteran Contributor

Yes we woke up to a couple frosty mornings this week,  doesn't seem to phase the winter wheat though.  My gut has been telling me all week to keep seeding spring wheat yet the market has determined me to keep those acres in soybeans, only august will tell the right decision.

0 Kudos
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

Hate to cuss a rain, was............
0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

Everyone is planting in C-IN. Probably 15% done.

We waited to start till today and will only do a 50 today to test out

all the new shiny paint and computers. It is early.

Amazing how everyone forgets that corn planted

before April 10th in IN is never the best corn.

0 Kudos