cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Doug N
Veteran Contributor

Re: Who's planting?

In western MN will probably wait another 7-10 days. Know for sure a guy north of Fargo is planting corn but we have cool weather moving in and we don't want to put seed into ground with dropping soil temps. If we get started by the 20th that will still be early for us.
0 Kudos
BrookfieldTwp
Contributor

Here in the "Thumb " area of Michigan all sugar beets are planted with excellent field conditions.Farmers are waiting to plant corn, everyone wants their crops in the ground but not up because of the FROST. Looks like a low on 04/15/ of 25 degrees. Some sugar beets may have to be replanted. We just can't get rid of this north east wind.

0 Kudos
Pupdaddy
Advisor

Brookfield...have you noticed that we seem to be getting a lot more northeast winds than we used to?

...Here in NW Ohio, the trees always show a prevailing wind from the southwest....but lately, it seems there's a lot more wind from the northeast.

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

I wanted to thank everyone for popping in and sharing your thoughts on your planting plans. It makes for great discussion. And I would like to put some feelers out to come and visit some folks during this planting season. If you don't mind and we can coordinate it, It would be good to do some road reporting. It's nice to get out and touch the soil and do some real work. Let me know if you'd be up for a visitor. Thanks again for the comments and Happy Easter to you and your family!

Mike

0 Kudos
BrookfieldTwp
Contributor

"The north wind doth blow". May blow out some of the sugar beets 30 mph wind gust today, it looks like chance of  snow most of the week. We can use the moisture but not the wind and cold.

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

I got the planter in for tune-up today.  It's going to be a big overhaul, so I figure I'll be ready to plant the 3rd week of April.  Come out and see me anytime.  I'm right off I-80.

0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Don't be surprised if you see me. I got a guy in Colfax and one outside of Newton to see. Maybe I'll just keep rolling down 80.

Thanks for the invite Jim.

Mike

0 Kudos
steeringwheelholder
Senior Contributor

North Central IN. Goin' like hell around here. Anybody with more than 400 or so acres is rolling. Those guys can wait and pick a few perfect days to get it in. Making dust clouds like we haven't seen in years now. Along with that, clods have a few of us dragging out the cultimulchers from the backs of the sheds to use on the drier clay and lighter soils. Ours has not seen sunshine since the mid 90's. I pulled it out and 3 of the 4 tires were cracked and flat. A nice half inch rain would be welcome. We started on a few beans first (on April Fools Day- fitting?!) then corn a few days later. Maybe 25% total planted for us starting out today. The beans should be emerging late this week or possibly this weekend. One local BTO finished his corn last week and should have the beans done mid to late this week. He started corn mid March! It'll be a home run or miserable failure. Yet to be determined. Historically here, not much gets planted before April 10th. There is mud down under the dust and clods on top, and planting 1 3/4" is finding moisture. Lots of burndown and preplant spraying has already taken place with the earlier nice weather. Fields of green are turning crispy brown. One thing I have noticed: I have to wonder if some neighbors are still farming the pieces they were last year. A new tractor, and pickup, and planter tender setup, along with the retired Dad's new pickup coming around to help move and supervise have made the operation unrecognizable! Lots of new iron around! When farmers get it, farmers spend it. New steigers seem to be contagious. They are showing up all over.
0 Kudos
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

steeringwheelholder,

Interesting that eastern Corn Belt farmers are rolling so quickly. I thought maybe more would wait until later in the week. Thanks for sharing. Who else out there can match the Indiana planting pace? This afternoon's Crop Progress Report ought to be very interesting. What do you think, 8-10% of the U.S. corn already planted?

Mike

0 Kudos
sixtysixx
Veteran Contributor

some are planting here in swohio, its too early but last year we couldnt buy a dry day so I guess we're taking advantage of it, but it is very dry in my county.

0 Kudos