cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Who will play the weather situation Tuesday?

Mark! Twain. And going deeper?

My bet has been with corn since I planted a lot of barley. It's a poor cousin to corn but it was the best I could do here.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Who will play the weather situation Tuesday?

In our small world here in NC Iowa, nothing will get done this upcoming week. We were wet before the past 2 days rains. Flash flood watches and warnings for a large part of our area. I think Chicago needs to start worrying about what hasn't been planted because those are high producing areas, not fringe acres. Even 10% of total projected planted not planted in May is a big deal. If the USDA would of projected 90 million planted acres back in February where would we be with prices today. With all the rain and the forecast for more it will be the first full week of June before most of us get back to planting. That does not equat to top end bean yields either......MikeM
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Playing seasonals definitely breaks down in the face of reality.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

the larger issue for the 2013 Corn crop being planted and all facets of its market might be the saturation/flooding of soils in IA, MN, and where-ever else for the seeds which were sowed from May13th - forward. They can't survive more than 4 days if inundated with too much H2O!

their survival might just have more impact than the 10-20% NOT planted yet.

see article below from IA State edu.

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/icm/2007/4-30/flooded.html

A germinating seed is a living organism and as such requires oxygen to survive. In flooded soil conditions, the oxygen supply will become depleted within approximately 48 hours

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

What is the absolute latest you all will plant corn due to production reasons?
0 Kudos
Advisor

Last year the mantra was monster crop due to the early planting progress.  This year has been a steady parade of "experts" telling why late planting, too much rain, drought, really doesn't effect final yield.   What will be Tuesday's Talking Point bulletin?   My guess is that the cool, wet conditions, and late planting ....why even into July won't have any effect on final yield...you know, with all those super duper raits that are sure to overcome every adverse condition known to a corn crop.

Most beans in my area are about to achieve double crop status.   It's June for God's sake...not mid April folks.   I'd say most market commentators will be encouraging anyone who hasn't priced their new crop to go all in before it's too late....and be sure to forward contract all of those acres you haven't planted, or might not plant....

Veteran Advisor

I appreciate your sarcasm (realism) BF2012,

ONE thing is for sure, the CORN MARKET will clearly communicate to the experts and commentators when it's time to change tunes!

2/3 of Iowa is under some sort of flood watch/warning or situation. 

Tornado on ground in 1 of the southernmost counties---------------BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shaggy, yeah, I wonder when IA's insurance prevent plant date is?    Jun 10-15 probably?????? I believe Mn is Jun 1

0 Kudos
Advisor

Flooded seeds can survive for long if cold. Nitrogen/ soil won't. The worst is a flood w heat. Soil oxygen is limiting at that point.

Look at temps.

Anyways I can plant til jun 10 w/o penalty here in Ontario, but Ive been done corn for weeks. Rains stopping beans here!!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Chicago seems to like the proof of the combine the best. We are a people that know weather happenings better than any one else.I look at the extreme odbal weather happennings this year and compare to the history as far as records and it has all happened before,but this year is any thing but normal,and Chicago will soon realize!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

My best years have the corn knee high by the 4th of June. That's not gonna happen and I got mine in earlier than most in this area.

0 Kudos