cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
craignd
Contributor

Re: Who will play the weather situation Tuesday?

Cx has something with his comment about saturated soil and germination. My wheat I seeded has now come up very spotty. Rows of nice looking thick wheat vanish into large areas of nothing. It's like I had nothing in the drill. These are large areas, 20 to 30 percent? These areas should be reseeded but are muck now and it will be too late in the season by the time they dry out.  We had a four day rain that dropped 5 to 7 inches of rain right after I seeded. The areas that have no germination are  still thoroughly saturated almost a week after the rain quit. I'm in northern ND and this makes three out of the last four years that too wet in the spring ruined farming in this area.

0 Kudos
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Just think.....

in just three weeks, the days start getting shorter.

Drove through parts of southern MN and Northen IA last sunday, and again this sunday. Lots of unplanted soybean stubble and didn't see any beans I could row once I left my own backyard.

Its going to take some courage to sell those crops before the prices start going higher again. Rain is in the forecast for every day for seven days out. wow.

0 Kudos
farmer46
Senior Contributor

Re: Just think.....

Planted my first corn today, 41 degrees when I finished.  I am in a lucky area, Dairy farmers are hurting for forage.  I will plant know matter the date, Corn silage will be the crop.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I question was meant more about production dropping off and losing bushels more than PP claims.  I wasn't sure if there were specific dates for specific areas that lost corn revenue due to late planting tilted the scale to beans vs. late planted corn.  Doesn't sound like bean planting is going very favorable either.

0 Kudos
BF2012
Advisor

Any time you plant late into June in wet soils the deck is stacked against top yield.   OUr best yielding corn down here south of I70 is Mid April planting.   This year nothing went in prior to May 17.   With all this rain we now are sitting here with shallow rooted corn, waiting for the inevitable burn up in July and Aug.   Again....bean planting in June is basically considered double cropping....which usually means the difference between 60 bu/acre and 30.

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

What do you mean it is considered double cropping, meaning it is just planted later than intended?  Around here, (Central Kansas), after wheat harvest if we have any subsoil moisture at all, some will try double crop soybeans or sorghum no-tilled directly into wheat stubble that was harvested maybe a week or two earlier.  This is probably more popular if we have an early June wheat harvest.  Just curious how something can be considered a double crop if it isn't planted directly following the harvest of another crop.

0 Kudos
BF2012
Advisor

Late planted   When you start parusing into first to third week into June, that is about the time we woiuld start harvesting wheat and double cropping beans.  Early to Mid May beans do the best here....in less than 3 weeks, daylight length will already be shortening, and all of a sudden, it's the fricking Fourth of July.    We just got rained out again.....not a single acre of beans planted yet. 

I'll be running the numbers on PP corn instead of planting beans now.  

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Thanks for the explanation BF. I understand now.
0 Kudos
pritchh
Senior Contributor

Re: Who will play the weather situation Tuesday?----everyone

this time or yr, we play Wx everyday.

crops are planted, sun wamrs, rain cometh and

crops grow..

SRW is looking very good. above avg trend Y expected at this point..

0 Kudos
pritchh
Senior Contributor

Re: Who will play the weather situation Tuesday? seasonal in action

seasonals are tendencies, good to know what it means.

for non trying to be a HERO types, it is a vary valuab le tool..

a just planted crop  OWNS risk,, and as crops mostly crop,, the premia falles out.

producers who sell a portion in the spring earn th uncertaintly premia

and professional specs as well.

OR see wheat Jan - july,,   price dropped,,,,>>

no matter how many bullish posts    someone makes ..

0 Kudos