cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Russia been around for 1,300 years now

my bet is they run another 1,300 years too.

what the heck doe the "west" know bout living in darn siberia anyway?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Will more sanctions be applied to Russia?

Unless Russia is making flat screens domestically it means a lot of the middle class can no longer afford to get them. That will apply to autos and anything depending on imports. We'll see how those who aspired to become middle class and those who are falling out of it will support Putin in the future. Putin's had a relatively easy time suppressing the opposition and opposing media. That's where the signs of major cracks in support of Putin will appear. It will be harder to detect problems within the oligarchy. Any capital still in the country took a massive hit!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

interesting thread Palouser.

That last one reminds me ------ I work with Ukraine guys in the summer.  One was telling me how much of Russia's technology and industry is sourced in the Ukraine.  He said the same thing, how anything that are not produced in the country just leaves the shelves for weeks at a time in Russia.  Especially food items when the currency exchange is not good enough.

But he was joking about military use technology being built in the Ukrane.  How Ukrane would know before attack because of the shipment of components ahead of time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Nothing like building the blade, weaving the basket, and making the  trip mechanism for the guillotine they are going to use on you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

The original discussion I withheld at the time but it took place the day the passenger plane was shot down with a rocket.

His comment was "In that area the rocket was more than likely Russian and the guidance system was very likely built in Ukraine."

In many ways your analogy is a good one.....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I think the BUK rocket electronics, and much other hardware - including ballistic missles and tanks are built in Ukraine.

Here's a good review of the interdependency of Ukrainian and Russian hardware.

http://www.rferl.org/content/russia-ukraine-military-equipment/25312911.html

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

And who Russians are blaming.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: And who Russians are blaming.

I do have to wonder if the whole neocon strategy that's been in play since the early 90s to push on Russia's perimeter has been a mistake. But anyway, it didn't start last year and I don't recall any horror expressed here when we encouraged  Georgia to move into South Ossettia and Putin crushed them in 2006.

Oil is fiendishly evil stuff because there is no easy substitute for that one time gift from nature. Since we're approaching, or are beyond, the peak of the slope on supply, it is extremely important to be in a position to not be fighting over the last dribs and drabs, which are only going to become more precious.

I don't see us doing much in that regard.

Since this is an ag site, somebody is going to declare that ethanol is the answer. But cellulosic is a bigger dud than old shale extraction was and grain can only supply so much and not a lot in net BTUs.

Seems to be where the decisions about our future lie.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Here's how complicated it can be

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

The behemoth they built

This thing could carry a loaded railroad car or more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-225_Mriya

This is a smaller behemoth using every bit of runway to take off in Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_MMBlO6rdE

0 Kudos