cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Winter Wheat Crop

I think our late freezes coupled with drought conditions last fall at seeding time are now beginning to take hold.  The Central Kansas area is now beginning to put up a significant amount of wheat acres as hay, not grain.  Several fields being swathed and baled this week.  Started the grain fill stage between 7-10 days ago and I imagine these fields just weren't developing grain.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Winter Wheat Crop

Shouldn't the actual harvest be starting in Texas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Yes, the southern swing of harvest is in Southern Oklahoma at the moment. I'm not hearing to many stellar yields however, I've heard anywhere from around 10-15 B/A. I'm unsure in Southern OK if the poor yields would be from frost, drought or a combo of both. Also, I'm not sure how broad the poor producing area stretches, I would think it would be like most other crops that there would be small pockets of better producing areas here and there.

I spot checked my oat cover crop this morning and the oats are starting to shoot some heads. This is not what I would consider good news, all three crops in the blend are shorter than the milo stubble they are drilled into. Just to many freezes this year. Looks like it will be chemically terminated as soon as our weather pattern permits. No hay means that my cattle buying plans might get put on hold for another year. I'm definitely not going to buy cattle so I can buy hay to feed them.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Just do what I do and buy a couple calves you can pat. When they get too big, I just eat them.... Lol
0 Kudos