cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

Winter storm hits Canadian prairies

It is the end of April and I should have had the sprayer and air drill out and ready by now but with all the moisture from last year and the record snow fall this winter all my equipment is still parked. I was thinking maybe next week I'd start to go through everything since we were atleast 2 weeks away from getting started here which is way behind normal but in this area normal has gone out the window. As I look outside at the foot of snow we have gotten overnight I can't help but think it will be closer to June that we get rolling in the fields here. Stats Canada published numbers for seeding intentions and in a perfect world they might be close but I am thinking there is going to be millions of acres that won't be dry enough to seed again this year.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: Winter storm hits Canadian prairies

Montana is not far behind.  We missed the storm last  night here in northern MT but we have 6 inches of mud next to snow drifts left over from November.  Drills, cultivators, and sprayer are sitting in water with snow on top of them.  Anyone who has attempted to do anything has had gotten stuck beyond belief. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I learned my lesson last spring trying to mud in a crop. I was stuck so bad an excavator barely dug me out after that my tractor stays parked till it dries out and if it doesn't dry out it will be summerfallow for a second year on most of the land and an auction to follow. I am tired of trying to fight mother nature only to lose year after year.

0 Kudos
Visitor

big bud in the mud

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Whitesand,sounds like you have a mirror image of last year.Your not alone.Here in the pacific NW we are just as cold,wet and late for all crops. Must be the hanging on of La~Nina ehh! The current prediction from NOAA climate prediction center conferms the continuation long enough our crops will turn out the same to. If this was to be a trend of many more years,we would certainly be in for some global shotages!(I wonder if any farmers can say,the weather here is normal?)

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Ah! Didn't you notice it was a little dampish before you drove in that hole? I had a helper a number of years back that buried my 8630. It took an escavator to dig and pull it out.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Ohh I've had to drive through more than a few dampish areas over the years but with all the rain here last summer ...52" the ground turned to quick sand underneath the crust and once i broke through the tractor sunk 2' in about an hour. I came back with another tractor to pull it out and it was sunk out of sight lol.

0 Kudos