cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vrbuck
Advisor

Wonder what would happen

If by next year we go back to 6.50 beans and 2.75 corn. I used to sell a ton at those price levels back in the day.. What would the farm economy look like.
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: Wonder what would happen

Yep 35¢ gas and $2.25 wages for you. Ah the good 'ol days.

0 Kudos
vrbuck
Advisor

I was thinking more alongthe line of inflation adjusted prices from the 80's farm crash.  1.25 and 4.25 seem to be on equal footing with 2.75 and 6.50.  I remember when those prices where to brag about.

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

More farmers would once again "walk" the crops off the farm.

Not to say those prices can't happen, but I doubt it. Demand would increase exponentially as they price drops from many different segments, for both corn and beans. Still trying to talk the crop prices down -at be you should be selling SE more and help out your cause. I however, will not join in on the party.

Jen
0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

These keys are just too little on my IPhone - sorry for the typos....

Jen
0 Kudos
childofthecorn
Veteran Contributor

When you were raising those corn and beans for 2.75 and 6.50 you need to think about the whole picture vrbuck.  What was the price of seed and chemicals?  Seed was $25 a bag for bean seed and $100 for corn seed.  Fertilizer was probably 225-245 a ton and so on.  Rent is as high as ever so is chemicals, insurance, health care, repairs, taxes on assets. Everything has gone up by 3-4 times what it was back in the "good old days" or more ie healthcare.

I could make the same arguement for people in town to go back to there pay in the 80's and then say hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm would anyone in town like that???  Ya right,  you would see rioting that would pail in comparison to Ferguson Mo.  Do you have and children that farm?  I bet not.  You couldn't post the way you do with such delight if you did!!

0 Kudos
capinegro3901115
Veteran Contributor

"still trying to talk crop prices down" wow. Close for dec corn on 6-30=425.25. then 7-30=371.50 then 8-29=364.75

Bear market, trend, but just bin it and HOPE.

Peak Corn

0 Kudos
turdypointbuck
Frequent Contributor

0 Kudos
turdypointbuck
Frequent Contributor

This isn't the 80s farm crisis. We're at these Price's for 1 reason, excellent weather for most of the growing acres. Same goes for $7 corn.....bad weather. If you want to bet on excellent weather next year, be my guest. We will chew right through this crop with these prices, so much for building stocks.
0 Kudos
ray h.
Senior Contributor

I can' not believe the econos and the trade thinking that growers would put up with much third world pricing.Inputs are not third world.Look at the pricing of tires,shop rates,parts,ins,fuel,fert,lows should not be below yesterdays highs.(this is not a third world country,at least not yet.)Individuals coming out and saying prices will go to a 2 in front or a 9 in front should be slapped around a little!

0 Kudos