Senior Reader

Re: Wonderful opportunity

Yep best crop prices ever under Obama, now look, welfare checks.

Advisor

Yep. SW must be high on something. Without the USDA reporting mechanism, everyone is flying blind, except, that is, folks who own their own data gathering systems. I.e. the multi-national grain traders. Bad mouth the government all you want, but remember, you the taxpayer are "we the people" in a democracy. I don't suppose you prefer a dictator who tells you what to think and where to *****. Right?
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

No I don’t want the dictator — but I have lost the faith that government can operate without its political biases. Or it’s economic debts to political contributors.
So I try hard to gain information from some of those multinationals who are at risk by doing business in agriculture.
And I am guilty of favoring info that comes from those who are taking a risk in the business.
So naturally I limit faith in sources that are too distant from actual dependence on the success of agriculture.
Usda job descriptions has grown to beyond their legal creation.
They are not and should not be the primary creator of farm news, or market information.
It boggles my mind to think that a farm news agency located in Des Moines Iowa can’t function without them.
Grain still trades —cropping decisions are still made—ships are still loaded. Acres will still be planted.
Honored Advisor

Sorry fsa attitudes have changed my perception of usda’s worth.
Veteran Advisor

The people doing the reporting aren't in FSA.

Since I'm not in the farm program, I haven't had much to do with FSA for years - I can't speak to what they're like now although back then they were a bunch of bureaucrats.

Maybe people would have more confidence in USDA reports if USDA explained them better or if the people looked into the report to see it's basis.

Of all the things USDA does, in my opinion their reports are the most important, followed by research.

Advisor

The thing is, multi nationals will not give you information for free. Information has power of an advantage in the marketplace. Who says they will not give you correct information? The role of the USDA is to provide data to everyone, without discrimination. How else can you confirm the other guy's data is true?
Advisor

Jim, have you ever been to the USDA when they gathered data for the report? I would like to attend. Friends have, and it is incredible how they secure data sources and restrict communication of all participants and attendees until the release. You may debate the numbers, but these folks are deadly serious in their mission.