cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Wow, wake up this morning to this: farmer threatens violence.

https://www.agriculture.com/markets/newswire/update-1-us-agriculture-officials-pulled-from-crop-tour...

To be fair, we don't know it was a farmer.

That said, nothing worse than poor crops and  "low prices".

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Veteran Contributor

Re: Wow, wake up this morning to this: farmer threatens violence.

Like everyone, I don't know who or why.

But a lot of anger and frustration did come to a head with the Aug report- which was an abomination.

That said, it shall pass, eventually. Damage from trade and ethanol will last a lot longer.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

He probably just took away the guy’s calculator.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re:Let's hope....

Let's hope Honig got to see Ohio, Ind,& ILL before he cut & run.

Maybe he left because he'd seen enough.  Or maybe he just couldn't stand the constant jokes from his tour  mates.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Farmers have complained about the USDA since the 50+ years I have been aware. Always real sweet when they are in the office getting signed for the programs however! Here is the rub, the USDA surveys farmers, grain dealers etc via interviews to put together the numbers for the reports and lo and behold they end up historically being very accurate. Farmers have a fisherman’s penchant for inflating their crop success as is regularly seen in most Midwest coffee shops, so you have to think their numbers are fudged when they talk to the USDA information collectors too, but the USDA eventually grinds out a representative report. Makes you wonder if they use a farmer BS factor in their programming. ?

Farmers have been told by the USDA and markets that they have over produced for years and yet continue to. Markets are very difficult to develop and voting for an ignorant market destroyer has consequences. The only problem with the USDA report is the information provider. Look in the mirror and you will see the culprit.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

That is ridiculous and probably written by a usda employee or their spouse.

USDA employees can get testy if their asked to answer questions and one like "why are you on my property?" could garner a story like this one ........ that seemed to have three sources for a phone conversation from the start. ????

I appreciated Mike for voicing his experiences on the crop tour.  He said most of the farmers they encounter are friendly.  But also said they never ask permission........ Public servants and respectful researchers would.

I am trying to keep the chins of my farmers up.  That is a very hard job this summer.  Costs they can't control and a government that destroys competition in seed and inputs market to favor international companies that are worth more than all the crops we raise.---- sad....   and folks who want the President to sit on their lap and tell them it'll be ok.

It is a very tough time and has been for a while...... every farm I do accounting for is tired of working for "these people" and at least under these conditions. These people has a good chance meaning everyone they see right now.  If the guy from usda responded to the call like a condecending bureaucrat that thinks its "his" crop,  I don't doubt the story........ otherwise it is just a good story for a press that will never verify the story other than saying it was repeated three times...(even if it was in the editing staff)  and maybe keep somebody from having to move to hell (kansas city)    I remember how the usda spokesman reacted a few years ago when taking questions about usda reports in front of a room full of press.  

By the way Mike and others.  How many van or bus loads of "experts" can I expect to be in my field stealing corn and beans?  Since everybody on twitter seems to be on the tour it must be a mob.  Probably exaggeration... a mob would draw gun fire.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Esteemed Advisor

NASS cuts $24 Bil off of likely crop value with very suspect, and a very old antique process btw (ignore planting date, ignore livestock head counts, FSA acreage data, etc etc, it is very antique) , science and some one rightly gets upset?

btw DDT...read the fine print...the carryout in this report can be off by up to 50% or over a Bil bu and the August numbers will still be within the acceptable range....just something to ponder. Hey, I get it, farmers out west and up north tore up sod, wheat, yards, and apparently interstate medians and planted corn. Good for them I guess, it will certainly be good for the LP Gas salesmen :-)   The real bullish number is the soybean number and we will see if it ever matters.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

On the other site, there`s an angle on the PFT that I never considered.  If you go in a super market and walk out with 2 sweet corn ears, you`re a shoplifter but if Pro Farmer goes in your field and takes 2 ears, somehow that`s okay.  And these tours, we  are essentially  showing our "poker hands" to the other players.

My opinion is it doesn`t matter, the trouble is, it does become gospel and buys the enduser that precious time, 6 months until the southern hemisphere comes online. So the final final numbers are like points on Who`s Line is it Anyway?, they don`t matter.

At least Pro Farmer shares their findings with all.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Interesting comments but mostly more complaining about a process that is decades old and well known. This year added more weather hiccups but mostly IMO, it’s a realization that an irrational destruction of markets for the  foreseeable future is finally sinking in, with less opportunities for farming in the USA. It’s not that the NASS projected production meets your expectations but rather the comprehension that there is a rapidly shrinking market for whatever is produced with no hope in sight. Actually, the government/taxpayers do have quite an investment in your crop with support payments, insurance subsidies and a multitude of programs since who knows when. Most people do work hard and are under stress, and unlike farmers, they don’t get the government support or a pass on personal behavior.

Highlighted
Contributor

That farmer said what most of us think 

0 Kudos