cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dairyfarmmn
Senior Contributor

Re: Wrestler

So if I'm following this right, wrestler made some comment about the crop. Jen may have made a position in the market based a little on what he said. Which one has to wonder why someone would make positions based on a faceless nameless poster on a Internet forum? Just saying.

But at the same time, wrestler you made some comments that would have been better left unsaid. And really were unnecessary. BS in agronomy or a **bleep** scraper for a large hog or dairy operation, I don't care...... But maybe a can of lemon scented air freshener will be a good idea.

Now, I do agree with you wrestler that the crop is going to be better than some expect. I talked to several friends in the area that Jen said had the best dirt in our county. Appraised yields where in the 210+ bu area for corn. Bean yields I'm hearing around 40. So maybe the markets have been more right than some like to admit?
0 Kudos
dairyfarmmn
Senior Contributor

Oh also talked to a friend in SD, he told me yields there are 125-200% of normal west of the river. Another friend east of the river said his corn is going about 196. Well above his average.
0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Dairyfarm Man, you must have missed my post about the nice corn I found down in Evansville, WI.  That corn was 200 bu corn.  I  have been in the fields, not heresay from one farmer to another bragging up yields.  I have no dog in the fight for corn.  My emphasis is and has been on the bean crop.  And to me, when you say that there is 200 bu corn here and 40 bu beans, that in itself tells a story.  Are there going to be some 200 bu corn yields (in spots - we'll see about whole fields with the water problems that we had) here in SE MN, sure.  Are there a lot of fields with a lot of problems out there?  Yes.  Pollination problems here?  Yes.

I've been in the fields.  I know what i'm looking at.  Go look at your fields, then take a drive to SE WI and look at what 200 bu corn really entails.  It's by and large not what we have here from what I saw.  That - or my relation there in Evansvill has 300 bu corn.  Which I assure you is not the case.  

It doesn't matter.  We are at harvest.  What is there is there, and we will be finding out soon enough.

Jen

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

And Wrestler, I accept you apology.  I did not want to sell the farm.  But I also know it was the right thing to do.  I wish I had had someone in the family that was capable and wanted to take it over.  We have a herd of albino deer out there on my farm  It started out with and albino buck some years ago.  In WI, albino deer are protected, so what started out as one deer has reportedly grown into 25 or so now.  The caused a fair amount of crop damage, but they were sure fun to see out in the bean fields in the evening a mornings.  They were like ghosts out there in the field.  I miss the field work, though my brother in law says I can come drive his magnums anytime.  It's not the same as doing your own though.  They guy that bought it is going to be clearing out all the woodlots to make more farmland.  So the deer will probably be gone.   And I had 3 very large oak trees that stood out in a couple of my fields.  They,  I'm sure, will be cut down this fall and unceremoniously dug out.

Which is why I didn't want to live there.  It didn't matter really who took over, those things were going to happen. 

For now, I'm harvesting my concord grapes and our apples and making juice, and I applied for a job at a new grain facility they opened over here.  (I could use a couple extra bucks to help pay for my margin calls Smiley Mad)

Jen

0 Kudos
dairyfarmmn
Senior Contributor

Well Jen, I've been in all but two of my 26 fields of corn. And I too know what I'm looking at...... The one I'm chopping now would do over 200 bu., sure some are going to be 150 but those same fields where only 170 last year, while others were 220. But as a whole I will be down 15-20 bu/ac from last year. Still **bleep** good corn.

Keep in mind around here 45-50 bu beans are about all we get in a good year. Best beans I ever grew were 53 bu/ac..... So 40 something isn't bad.
0 Kudos
dairyfarmmn
Senior Contributor

Good luck on getting job! If they don't hire you, you could always apply at AgPartners..... Coops like to have lots of employees 😉 🙂
0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Land is no different than any other speculative property. We live in a capitalist society and we applaud the success of investors that buy stocks bonds businesses or real estate to earn appreciation in values. That basically is the promise of america. Work hard, make a buck, invest that buck, sell the asset and make even more bucks and so it goes.

Land has a different value or a different appreciation for those of us that love the land. Perhaps Jen even shares that appreciation but circumstances changed her plans. I would say that I will never sell one acre but should there become an overwhelming need I might do so. Some times people do things simply to get the financial house in order.

It is that investor  that bought those farms that providing me land to rent in my youth. Sometimes that arrangement lasted 27 years and in the  end they sold the farms to me. Needless to say I think those people  poop ice cream and I never would diminish them in any way.

Those people were partners in progress and i hold them in the highest regard. YES they bought land and sold land.

0 Kudos