cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Yesterday's crop tour

We took a road trip from South Podunk country up to the Farm Progress Show. @ Boone Iowa.

Got to catch up with friends from east of Champagne, Ill. Had lunch and a report of what they have and saw on the trip there.

Crop report is ...great crops all across Ill, decent in Iowa but not as great, beans are smaller in Iowa.

My part of the trip up Hwy 169 was good looking crops. Some are just starting to turn. Frost will not be a major concern by Sept 8th for the corn, many of the beans will be getting close to frost safe too.

Took these pictures on the way out of the show after 4:30, Rained over an inch in the early morning of the show and was not that much of a problem as the sun came out and firmed the parking lots.

was crowded in the middle part of the day, many came to see it, the neatest thing I saw was the airplane on the east side of the varied industries tent. Nice machine.

put a picture of ECIN's dream machine here in the mix..

ResizedImage_1409098659298.jpgResizedImage_1409098670256.jpgResizedImage_1409099383743.jpgResizedImage_1409099364812.jpgResizedImage_1409098685746.jpgResizedImage_1409098638816.jpg

ECIN you should have come over with Peeler and Rfarmgirl is all I can say.

All the salespeople I visited with all used the term "grower" kind of would turn me off. I asked a few of them what happed to all the farmers. Not one had a answer.

This time I only saw a very small amount of SA farmers/growers. Maybe one bus load at best. Very few from any foreign country, just the first day though.

Did not see any jee whiz new things either. Must have been on the wrong side of the street? (well maybe the airplane)

Left the big P guy speechless, after the "new genitics rule speech". Their theme this year is science and genitics over enviroment...showed him a few of the picts I put up about last weekends "mother nature event" asked him which numbers trumped that. No answer.

Most things were all geared for the 5000+ acre "grower" I think most that showed up at the event were 1000 acre or less dinosaurs. 1500/1650 bu auger wagons seemed to be the norm.

Seemed to be tire kickers not sure about too many buyers.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Advisor

Re: Yesterday's crop tour

Just haul the grain cart to the delivery spot I you have 1600 bu capacity... Less insurance/ one less engine Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Pretty muddy yesterday morning, thank goodness for paved streets, even water across in places.  The Budweiser tent was pretty rowdy around 4:00  Smiley Happy    Vendors were really generous with caps, shirts, popcorn, yardsticks and such.  Becks is making a move on Iowa.  Massey Ferguson was keeping up with the other two.

I always think back how those shows have changed, about 20 years ago there were swine seedstock exhibitors, I even won a Zerke boar once.  Now they just had a cattle handling  vendor and that was about it.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

That Cirrus 22 ranges in price from $375,000 to $750,000.  The one at the show was about $500,000 or so.  It had a weeping wing, prop slinger, windshield drip and was certified for flight in known ice.

Same price range as a good combine with heads, all tricked out.

I have a little time in it's little brother but none in that model.  They're a fast way to travel.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

They told me it was a $700,000  plane the way it was tricked out. Had police surveillance and infrared cameras on the left side just behind the wing. And yes had the deicing option. 

Did you look at the display monitors? They do more than many of the commercial jets in the air today do. 

Also had a parachute for those little emergencies. 

Best part ...had common hitch pins holding the wings on at the show.  I looked.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Yeah, I forgot about the surveillance equipment.  Well, UAS will do the same job cheaper.

One of my airplanes has better avionics than the Cirrus.  I think most of the commercial airlinesrs have better aviioncis.  Maybe not as modern but will do more.  They'll do near zero zero landings, for example.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The cabin quality has improved over the years and the doors were closer to automotive quality. Big step up from 172 Cessna' s

The 1000+ mile range and 220+ mph speed would change the scenery rather fast. I wouldn't be ashamed to own one.

Had automatic sensors to keep you alive above 12,000ft and of course an oxygen system.  

Kind of an interesting thing to find at a farm show.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jim--what is a zero zero landing?
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

A zero-zero landing means the airplane can land on it's auto pilot when it has zero horizontal (forward) and zero vertical (ceiling) visibitliy.

Many airliners routinely land on auto pilot, but it takes special equipment in the airplane and at the airport and special training for the pilots for zero-zero landings.  They are ILS category IIIc.

In fact, most auto-landings are done at ILS cat I or II.  A pilot friend of mine who flies for the majors says that humans can land better than the autopilot, but the autopilot is more consistent.

I've never done anything close to those kinds of landings.  The worst I've flown have been 200 ft ceilings and 1/2 mile visibility.  That's been a few years.  You have to stay sharp to be good at them.

Anyway, I figure the Cirrus 22 is about the price of a nicely equiped combine with all the goodies.  I guess if I won the lottery, I'd have to figure out which one I wanted more.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jim--what are you flying now? Have a 172 share, but thinking about getting something similar in the future. Considering a low wing.
0 Kudos