cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Yields

Just heard a reporter on KOWZ that was riding in the combine somewhere here in SE MN.  The field of corn they were in was AVERAGING 258!!!   The reporter was talking about seeing the monitor hit 275 as they were going.  It was a great year here...record yields it looks like, on top of a great year last year.  Astounding....I knew the crop here was going to be a big one...I reported that months ago on here.

Beans are pretty well done in the area, they also did very, very well averaging in the 60 - 80 area.  

That'll help make up for the low price - here.  But those that are facing a sub par crop along with these prices, may make for a tough winter....

Jen

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Yields

LMAO --- jenny - you need to lay off the left handed cigarette's before you watch the News ! lol  276 ?? That might be a whole field - Must have been a type O - O  Heck that might be all of the corn production for the whole state - Oh dang it - I dam near fell out of my chair on that one - Thanks for the laugh jen - I better go out and try to weedeat - if my side will quit hurting .  Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Advisor

Shouldn't have reported that success now you'll have everyone and their brothers moving up to MN to farm. 2012 was a great year here in IL and IA still had a crop rest of the country droughted out prices doubled. Next year everyone quit their jobs and wanted to become farmers. The race was on rents more than tripled and seed and fertilizer doubled quite a laugh four years later nobody can afford to run farmers dropping like flies and the market flatlined in the process. Sure hope MN success is a longer one otherwise good luck. Just curious what you all want for rent up there these days?? Not to far of a drive in the combine lol.😉
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I'm only reporting what was said on KOWZ radio station 258 was field average. The farmer said it was the best crop he had ever seen. Maybe somebody else on here might have heard it and could vouch for what I'm saying, or call KOWZ radio and ask them about it yourself. The report was around 12;30 PM today.

Jen
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

KOWZ is based in Owatonna which is Steele County.

I have cousins that farm in that area and some of the dirt east

and southeast of Owatonna is as good as you'll find anywhere.

Not saying that is where the reporter was but the potential for those yields are real.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

A couple years ago i got great yields like that until i calibrated the molitor!

Senior Advisor

Ok here Jen ! I WAS JUST KIDding !!  SO ------------------  PLEASE  -- PRETTY PLEASE -- Shut down them fans you have aimed at us ! From the 80's to the 50's - well its hard on the system here - lol

btw - Last time I looked - just before dark last night - we had 2.6 inchs -  And in Southern IN they had 5.2 inchs . Looks like it's our turn to test out chains .

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Slims right....... Never trust a combine yield report..... I can show you 258 from our current field... but the tickets are going to show 165 average...35 below historic average.

Se Minn.  ??  What part of Iowa is that...??

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Here by Cannon Falls, in the sands, harvest is moving along.

We went over to Wausau, WI yesterday, and nothing was moving. Most of the beans are still standing. A few fields are off, but it is fairly obvious that it's just too wet to do much of anything there.

It looked Iike trying to get corn silage off was also a nightmare. I feel for you guys that have a nice crop out there, and can't get it in the bin. I've been there - done that. It's not a lot of fun.

Jen
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I finished Sunday.  East central Iowa, pretty rolling ground.  Fertilzed each crop separately.  No-till.  Full season crops.

Bean on corn whole farm average 62.5 bpa, at least 3 better than I've ever done before and I have no idea why.  They were pretty weedy.  Stalks were green, seeds werent' all the large.   Lots of talk of better yields around and maybe they are getting better yields.  

Corn on beans whole farm average 191 and I am disappointed.  That's not a bad yield for this ground.  I've had worse and I've had better.  I was hoping for over 200 with the talk.  The corn was clean of weeds and came out very dry.  No drying bill this year.  I've heard a lot of talk of 240-250 bushel yields.

0 Kudos