cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

a real cockup- potential for packing plant closures

https://www.claimsjournal.com/news/national/2020/03/20/296123.htm

Tyson still not offering paid sick leave but graciously suspending punitive policies against those who miss work.

Brilliant!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: a real cockup- packing plant closures

It`s no longer a living wage job where the median surname of the workers was "Anderson" like 30 yrs ago.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Indeed.

That all happened beginning with Reagan, and how we had to be "competitive.".

The Hispanics came later.

BTW, one of my wife's grandfathers worked at the Hy-Grade plant in Storm Lake for over 40 years. Got up at 5 in the morning for early set up- he got extra hours since management liked him for being an anti-union man.

Nice neat little white house on a tree lined street.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Pretty harsh fellow.

One time he came to visit with the in-laws. I thought he'd enjoy riding on the combine- watching the yield monitor and all- and he did. I was standing behind to guard him as he climbed down but one of his feet slipped on the ladder and I halfway caught him but he swung around and banged on the tire pretty hard.

So he's in the house laying on the couch moaning, and I'm thinking I'm really going to catch it. Wife and folks get home and I go out to tell them what the deal is. FIL marches in and says "get your ### up and stop whining." And he did.

You reap what you sow.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

And of course Iowa's Right to Work laws, the rise of IBP etc.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

The politics that drove our meat and dairy industries were based on the notion that it provided a lot of middle class-or somewhat-jobs/family farms.

Still have an "industry" but not that.

Some of that is just technological advancement- as it is in manufacturing and elsewhere. The robots have always been coming for our jobs.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

BTW, I'd assume that if a company has some lines shut down they would naturally give their dedicated production first divs.

0 Kudos
rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: Meat shortage, fortunately for me,....

As for a meat shortage, fortunately for me my freezer's pretty well stocked and if it comes to it, I know where there's some fifty-odd whitetails that need to be wacked before they get the soybeans.

But look at it this way, if a plant gets shutdown and the supply gets backed up, think of all the extra feed they'll need to keep it alive.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

I was thinking about that also but it still works back, and forward, through the supply chain eventually.

0 Kudos
bruce MN
Advisor

There are response measures in place within integrated loops for newborn to weaning age euthanasia. 

You can’t cut the line as quickly and cleanly as you can poultry, but it’s obviously going to be done.

0 Kudos