cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Meat shortage, fortunately for me,....

Could it be that if the "current packer workers" get sick, that they might call in tested Covid- free 70yr old workers named "Anderson" to run the plant in a quarantined situation?  Give each one a small camper to live on site in parking lot and pay "Anderson" $40/hr and the lines might move slower, but them ol` boys might still keep the shackles filled.

0 Kudos
unlgrad
Senior Contributor

Really, since most beef takes over a year to go from calf to slaughter, a plan in place to euthanize.  I can not imagine that would ever happen around here.    

0 Kudos
unlgrad
Senior Contributor

Okay, I suppose if a deadly disease breaks out in the livestock and the only way to prevent the spread, then yes. Only if they were tested to be positive for the deadly infectious disease. 

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Local lockers are begging for business, someone to take in a steer or pig, then i go to HyVee and empty meat case and a sign "Limit 2lbs of hamburger".... there you go, your $1 million opportunity.  Couldn`t be sitting much better if you owned a bathroom tissue factory. 

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Re: a real cockup- potential for packing plant closures

The issue with plant closures is on the minds of a lot of farmers/farm managers right now. I've been hauling hogs like crazy. It is rare for me to run on Saturday, but I had 2 loads yesterday. The hogs were lighter (280 pounds vs 300 pound normal) weights; the manager said he was trying to get ahead of a potential plant closure. I talked to another driver - the farm he was hauling for is considering plans to temporarily overload finishing barns with wean or feeder pigs in order to make space in case the barns full of market pigs can't get emptied in time. I don't know what to believe when it comes to this virus. All I know is agriculture is probably the best industry to be in right now. 

0 Kudos
bruce MN
Advisor

Large dairies in the SW  have been euthanizing bull calves for some time now.

All sorts of ways to regulate growth and finishing on beef breeds.  Any number of measures would be taken before they would be a consideration.

0 Kudos
bruce MN
Advisor

Call the USDA. Get Sonny to get Trump to EO the Federal Inspection requirement and those lockers could do a gold rush business.

As for now, somebody “bringing in” a hog or a steer won’t help much.

Picking up a quarter of beef from an old neighbor at a locker this week ( unless the President or Governor shuts down travel) They say they’ll haul it in a cart to the curb and we can put our check into a slot in the door. Other half of the freezer full from the hog we had butchered in December.

0 Kudos