cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: blast from the past as you look at those huge ethanol stockpiles

I'm in central Nebraska, and very, very few people start before April 25th here.  The one next to me that does, has had his corn snowed on after planting (but before emergence) 2 of the last 5 years.  Generally, he plants around April 25th, I plant around May 1st, and his corn comes out of the ground 2-3 days before mine on a normal year.  This year may be different, as it was warmer than normal, longer than normal early.  We had the frost out of the ground a good week early this year.

On the replant thing, I get seed from two dealers, and they both are saying that the better varieties are short, one of them is still not 100% certain that I'll get the seed that I ordered and already paid for.  Not that I won't get the seed, but that I might not get the variety I ordered.  They also are quite adamant that as soon as I am done planting, to let them know, so they can pick up any extra seed right away, as there isn't any to spare.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

NW why is extra wet now, forboding for May=Oct?

reversion to the mean happens as we;;/

??

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I guess I stand corrected on that. Still, I dont think I am willing to risk losing my coverage on replant. If seed is as short of a supply as we have been told, I don't want to struggle to find replant seed. I don't suppose our dealers will have a lot of sympathy for people that take unnecessary risks.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Art,  it's been overly wet here since last July 18.   Very little wheat planted after beans last fall because of wetness.  The ground never froze out good in the winter and we keep catching every stray shower that comes near here.   2" last Thursday and an inch Sunday.  Round bales stored outside are spoiling bad as they didn't freeze and all the water is damaging them pretty bad.  As a result I'm selling mine for cow feed.  I sold off my feeders last December as the feed yard was just too muddy and still is.

0 Kudos