cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: case new holland lays off 225+ at grand island

Just like commercial fertilizer and gmo seed.  Those who want it should be able to get it and those who don't should have the right to not get it.  Customer is always right.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Yep
0 Kudos
Advisor

Putting aside any discussion of ethanol policy in its own right.

But the farm machinery market is thoroughly saturated. We could shutter every plant and run five years without a hitch with the metal that's out there.

The notion that ethanol is also (along with curing hemhorroids and acne) some sort of permanent Cash For Clunkers economic stimulus deal is kind of silly.

It is half due to the boom, half to the tax incentives. A hangover generally follows a huge drunk as a rule of thumb. As far as the iron biz goes, no point in treating the hangover with a bottle of tequila.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Hardnox,

That reminds me of the time I was at a dry land Ag conference some time back up in Washington State. One of the panelists got to talking about planting a strip of canola around the edge of his rather large Montana wheat farm. He had his own oil seed press and used this oil for his tractors. He had even invented a contraption to fit onto his tractors that automatically switched the motor from diesel to canola oil once the engine temperature got up a little bit. He claimed to have reduced his diesel purchases by 92%! When he asked the audience of quiet, confident, sunburned dry land farmers if this was of interest to them, nobody raised their hand. Then one old boy stood up rather slow and deliberate like and said he'd been doing that for years; one by one farmers in the room said or muttered under their breath..."me too".."neighbors been doing that awhile"...."pretty simple to do"....and on and on. The speaker looked a bit deflated and I couldn't stop smiling about the very natural ingenuity of the American farmer.
0 Kudos