cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

china's new FM requirements

as reported on this website yesterday..........

rather interesting.......they are going to pay #2 price for #1 grain.............

but here is the fun part......we're told they don't think it will impact us.......but the usda will be telling farmers how to avoid the

problems.......perhaps much alike their advice a few weeks ago to "diversify".....

so here comes ole el cheapo to town in one of his old chev trucks......stops at the scale, and smiles at the young lady that

takes a sample and weighs him, then points towards a ground pile/bunker where they are dumping beans (yep we had some

around here this year......)......so back up to the auger, the fellows wave their hands to stop, then throw a log in front and back

of one of the rear tires.......I push in on the clutch, put it out of gear, pull both knobs back and let out on the clutch and up

comes the bed, I finish dumping, and go back and get weighed and the girl comes out with a smile with a ticket, that

has all my bushels, and all the discounts applied.......

now.......they docked me once.......now what about all the dirt, and FM they pick up there on that pile........

let me guess, who's price will be adjusted to reflect the additional cleaning they will have to do.........

it sure will not be the elevator........who else is left ???

6 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: china's new FM requirements

Well, 30 some years ago I would use the elevator grain bank, you know haul your good but wet corn in and the elevator would haul out dry corn for you to grind there rest of the year.  Back then you`d sometimes get cracked corn that almost didn`t need grinding and of course some cockleburs and half a pair of pliers would occasionally get stuck on the magnet.  It sure wasn`t on par with the corn you hauled in.  

A old neighbor would stop in to bs and his favorite "conventional wisdom" story was these grain companies figure out just how much crap could be blended acceptable for export.  He would say "The Chinese say don`t mix rat poop with the corn...we want to buy corn, keep the rat poop separate and we`ll buy that too for fertilizer.  But please don`t mix it together!"  Smiley Happy I guess I hoped things had gotten better in the last 30 years.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Last I checked, elevators around here all price corn on #2 basis for us farmers anyway, don't ever see any premiums for #1 corn. And, quite a lot of the corn is actually #1 corn when delivered, but all goes in the same bins and bunkers as everything else.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The end user needs to set the standard.  and if they demand grain with 3% FM or less .......... they will get 2.97% FM,  even if it left Iowa with 1% FM.  There will be some poor quality that gets blended in somewhere....

The idea that 25% of last years sales would be rejected means nothing..... They were last years standards...

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

When I deliver good quality corn or soybeans to the elevator, I expect them to deliver that good quality stuff to the end users.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

dream on........ Someone owns a lot of corn out west with Fumonicin problems.  It will get blended out somewhere...

rt1, a bit like cattle, there is a lot more money in buying lower quality cheap....... then upgrading it into being part of a quality product... than there is in paying top dollar for fancy stock..

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Once it leaves your truck .............. its not your fault.   or your grain.

That is why farmers should never get blamed for export problems.... 

0 Kudos