cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Re: corps of engineers cuts US crop production

My family has about 5000 acres in this floodway and yes we hope to be compensated in some form or fashion. We only had a shop to lose but there were a few large operations that have grain bins, new pivots, full liquid fert. tanks, chemicals. There were about 100 homes that were lost. We hope that there is not a lot of infrastructure damage or excessive silt build up on roads, bridges, and ditches. I think the drainage will be the biggest issue after the water levels drop. Mississippi county had invested millions in the last few years to clean and maintain these ditches and it will not be an easy task to accomplish. We are hoping for limited silt buildup on the farmland iteself. I believe one of the biggest concerns now that this is done, is make durn sure that the levee will be rebuilt. The farmers lost a lot, and it will adversly affect our economy for a long time. The towns of East Prairie, New Madrid, and Charleston won't be the same for a long time. It tears my heart out to see some of the old timers that were around when they breached the levee back in '37, relive the fear and the heartache. It also come as some solace to hear from them, to sit and listen to their experiences and have some idea of what to expect once the water has left. It will be a long hard battle, but we will come together as a farming community and rebuild.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: corps of engineers cuts US crop production

our prayers to all in your area M&M! interesting that the last breach in 37, a year after the mother of all droughts. ps prayers to everyone being affected by the weather this spring. keep the faith. d7