cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vrbuck
Frequent Contributor

current vhi map

Looks like it is starting to fade into the home stretch.  I understand the crop is ahead of last years pace but compair the two maps and the is less chance for this crop to catch last years crop.

North America, VHI of current year

North America, VHI of previous year

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
cropdoc5
Veteran Contributor

Re: current vhi map

You can't compare last year with this year, no way no how as they are at  least 2  weeks difference in maturity.   Lots of corn is starting to reach maturity or very close to it, so there  is no way use these maps for comparison.  If you want my opinion on the crops in Iowa and Minnesota as I have seen a lot of them, I would put Iowa at least 10 bushels lower than the USDAs' estimate.  Minnesota will set a new record and be close to the USDA projected yields.  Personally I would put the national corn yield about 5 bushels less than the USDA last projected.  I don't think they are accounting for all the nitrogen deficient areas within fields nearly enough.  They have a tendency to overestimate yields when there is a lot of in field variability. 

Beans are on pace to match the USDA forcasted yields in both states.

Cropdoc

0 Kudos
DW11
Veteran Contributor

Re: current vhi map

Cropdoc,

I absolutely agree with you on the nitrogen deficiency in corn being a big deal.  I think it is taking this national corn crop down toward 160.

However, a slightly smaller corn crop than last year that is much drier will result in better prices and much better margins than last year.

DW11

0 Kudos