feedyard Talk. 2/25. 12:33 am

After an up Wednesday tonite is taking a breather before rushing into Thursday

Corn is  -2.  @ 5.55

Beans +7  @  14.32

HRW   is -5.   @   6.58

cattle were up in their range activity to where they have been several times  

Fats (live)  +1.025.  @ 122.225

Feeders    +2.15.      @ 144.75.  

Cotton is king....... and a couple of gins can be seen in that map of the land sale between cactus tx and Stratford tx.

Cotton is up tonight +1.63.   @ 95.32.      Cotton has only exceeded 100 cents a lb. twice in the last 20 years...... 1 the drought of 2012 and in 1996 when textiles left the country.

comments........

Wheat is starting to show the effects of that extreme cold.  Saturday the color came back and looked good.  Today 4 days later it is still green and the cattle are loving it, but the wheat has lost structure and is laying flat on the ground in several of the fields that were planted early....... another week or 10 days we will know for sure if this crop is an insurance claim,  Right now it doesn't look very well.  color darkening and leaves drawing up and getting flatter every day.....a few days of march wind will tell the tail... and we will try that milo contract. from a safe level.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
k-289
Senior Advisor

Re: feedyard Talk. 2/25. 12:33 am

Poultry  losses  of  birds  &  facilities  being  a  rough  news  spot  for  the  Lone  Star  folks ,  count still not  tallied  - - -

Chaos  of  weather  events , every  10  years  or  100 year  events ,  keeps  US on  our  toes ,  like  the  past  wind  event  on  the  U. P   trestle  bridge  E  of  Guyman   -  -  - 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

It is technology...... pure and simple....IMO....  

We depend on more and more technology and less and less people in the food production.... 

Hogs and cattle go to market and get transferred ......right on schedule.... no delays for the super cold or the blizzard.

Poultry and hogs are total confinement where everything is automatic controls.... if a feed auger stops or a humidity sensor rusts out the occasional human finds caucuses.   Feedlots out here have seldom enough ingredients for the feed mill for more than a few days. Yet if you want to bring tomorrows load today they don't want it.  Most have prescious few bushels in storage.  There are lots that are just hand to mouth.  All of agriculture now runs that way.  If you want something with a jumping deer on it, better plan ahead because they have delays because the "just in time" process means orders are delayed waiting on parts.

Go to the big feed mill at optima, okla,  just up from that bridge over the Beaver.  Gotta be the most inefficient, slowest mill ever constructed.... sometimes 20 trucks or more sitting for hours.... and they may reject you just at the point of getting to dump and always after a long wait.  Or you get to go in and spend an hour after waiting for 3 hours dumping into a very new mill....  Lots of what we do with these big conglomerates is terribly inefficient yet I am always baffled that the products they produce stay very cheap in the store.

But the point is we are not very hands on these days.  Sprinklers have telemetry so many pumps and motors get checked once a week or every other day.  Technology is everywhere and we depend on it more and more.... so the wreck that happens when weather or a raccoon bring you lemons,,,, is now a much bigger wreck than someone was at the helm all day.  Even if they were 12 year olds cleaning waterers after school... they found problems to report and wrecks were avoided.  Now it is someone who doesn't want the blame or doesn't want to communicate.

How much financial loss can we stand to live an easy life.  world wide....

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

The  mind-set  of  $200   to  $1  , management  pay  scale  vs. labor ,  being  another  factor  less  talked  about  -  -  -

Tech  is  fabulous , until  the  unforeseen  event  bill  shows  up  -  -  -

I  would  perform  more  of  these  laborious  tasks ,  although  my  schedule  of  jetting  off  on  my  various  get-a-ways  doesn't  allow for  it -  impressions ,  images  count  you  know  -  -  -

10,000  head leaping  to  25,000 ,   will  test  the  un-thought  planning , sooner  or  later , which  brings  in  the 50,000 conversation  of  efficiency (  CHEAP ) myth's  -  -  -     

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

a congressionally demanded pay limit or not    

The road we are on is moving to a scale of extreme wealth to $0 income for those without jobs.  regardless.  And the steps going up the ladder of society we have enjoyed are being chopped off the ladder with unintended consiquences.------------

Education people are getting shoved back down that ladder looking for a fall.  

My experience with tech jobs is the bill I get for a farm visit 4 times accomplishing nothing getting my hot spot cables back to working..... $3100 for nothing but driving time and labor testing options (with so few dealers of anything left).   ---- parts sent here ordered on one of those visits, I finally installed myself ..... 

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Integrated   CONsolidation ,  with  fewer'rr   options  annually ,  with  volume  discounts , OF  COURSE  - - -