cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw363535
Honored Advisor

feedyard talk 1/28 Moving on steady as she goes

Our load out has slowed for a couple of days.   Cattle needed moving ---accounting needed a catchup day---  and the fuel jelled in nearly everyone.                   filters changed.  Friday will be 62 degrees after 5 degrees wednesday morning.

Thursday daytime as mike probably noted slowed to a near even day as the tuesday -wednesday  seamroller ran out of steam.... stopped for a breath....  Tomorrow we will see it the FAT Funds Friday belly flop stays true to form.... Last weekend afforded them a healthy return selling high friday and buying back cheap monday.  No sense in getting in the way when the spoiled are out playing.

Overnites have us at +7 or 9 for  corn and beans   with corn back at the $5.40 +-  ----------- So friday we will see.  While the Pollcat  are trying to break the stock market, maybe we will get a normal Friday..... I doubt it..... should be even or down refueling for next weeks realities.   This is the high basis district buy there will be some 2020 corn delivered in February for over $6  ($6.015)       unbelievable.....a few weeks ago   but the signs were there.

An auger repaired as well.  Thank you to the Woofter hands on that fishing trip for the bottom 12 feet of disconnected flighting.   That Heller guy is talent.     Every time I think about personnel or see a well managed business with good employees ......... or a set of financials and their labor accounting..... My goofy mind goes back to the best example of labor relations I ever read about.   Edith Stillwell of Kansas City..... was working as an usher at a theatre in kc when she was courted by the proforming act..........for a long term committment to be Red Skelton's wife.   After 14 years of marriage and creative contribution along with financial management  Edith filed for divorce and it was settled.  They were no longer married and moved on to other marriages.  Red, seeing the world from unique eyes, knowing talent he quickly offered Edith a monthly sizeable retainer to accept management of his business affairs and act as his agent and writer in the entertainment industry.   She accepted and Red let her handle the bills as he became one of the most successful entertainers(and teams) in history.

Every time I hear a complaint about a boss or an employee........ or just deal with assessing talent  I think of that story.  It is a great read and pretty well documented.   It will change your perspective on the subject of business relationships.

Both my sons are better than I was with employees.   High expectations is not the only answer.

8 Replies
lsc76cat
Veteran Advisor

Re: feedyard talk 1/28 Moving on steady as she goes

Ol' Red - wife and I saw him live once when he was in the cities.  Laughed so hard it hurt.

Not a foul word all evening.

Thx for the memory "jar".

nitefarm
Advisor

wife and i also saw him live in Paduca Ky .Good clean fun. He had a person doing sign language for the deaf, he said he was the first entertainer in the U.S. to do that.

Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

My age is showing, used to watch his show on tv.

Got the privilege of seeing him twice, once in Omaha at Aksarben.

Later in Des Moines at Veterans auditorium.

Very talented in many venues.

Painting/ writing, acting, preferred being known as America's Clown 

0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Veteran Advisor

There is a video on the internet of an interview he did with Dini Petty in Toronto.

She talks with him about his varied activities and talents.

He even talks about his daily routine.  Amazing talent with extraordinary gifts.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

SW, I hope your post about the fat lady belly flop has jinxed her. Less than a hour and  a half left this week and prices doing the slow climb. 

I like you don't think the excess bushels we've been told are out there are anything but digits on a gov't report.

That being said there are still white capped mountains of the stuff in places. Still January ....long time to replenishment...

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

My favorite hours of time were the ones spent with my grandfather watching Reds show on TV(1958 through 1965).  One of the most honored people in our family(on both counts)  Pure wisdom in the simplest of deliveries....  and often not knowing whether to laugh or tear up.  

He always was asked about his start ... which was very young on the stage and he most often will slip in the comment "I left home because I was hungry"  which is exemplary of Reds mind... most often playing off the double and triple meanings of the simplest of words.... then observing which way your mind went he could so wittingly jerk you back off in another mental direction.............His comments on finance are so interesting, I'm not sure he ever paid a bill or invested, yet never spent a waking minute of unproductive time.  Your right there is lots of internet treasures on u-tube and I occasionally catch one of his feature movies on Classic Movies.  He was also a good actor and leading man.

hobby, I am doubting that we are going to see anything consistent in 2021.  our "party" leadership is bouncing off the rubber walls now .... not sure which decree to choose now that congress has been neutered ..... anxious to group hug with their sister serorities around the globe who are woooing them with the sirens song or total control of the masses.  The only true way to show superior wisdom.  While huddled behing the Capitol walls, new fencing, and eventually a moat and a bigger wall for the inner city of our new "one party" nation.  They have much to fear in the wilderness of the US where federal offices will probably remain locked for most of the first term.     "Ride the virus"........... 

0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Veteran Advisor

Our local basis hasn't changed for corn or beans and every time I am out and about there are plenty of grain trucks on the road.  Talked to 2 of the BTO neighbors this morning and both are hauling as fast as they can.  Corn to ethanol plants and beans to CHS or ADM in Mankato.

With all of Biden's executive orders one thing is certain = lawyers are going to make tons of money!!

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

And the puppet looks like he is doing something behind the curtain.  With the leftist in power their sister sorrities in CCP and Iran are enjoying their new freedom to threaten.... 

China warns Taiwan that independence means war ---  BBC news today

Iran threatens to launch......     Yesterdays  ussa TV along with film of missles launching.

Both in the news today only 8 days into the Biden machine in office... Here we go.  Global warming is a "back burner" issue.  Just like covid,  and these might be clues to our grain market issues to come.

0 Kudos