cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ray h.
Senior Contributor

? for corn soy alfalfa combination growers.

If spring starts to run a little late,and you have planting to do,and an alfalfa field that needs an over seeding realy bad,do you go ahead and plant corn and soy and just forget the hay field,or do you come up with enough help to get all projects done as right as mother nature allows?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Re: ? for corn soy alfalfa combination growers.

Best stand of alfalfa I have right now, was planted in June, due to excessive moisture during plating season causing delay after delay (a rarity around here).   If you have good soil moisture, I can't see the harm in delaying it, other than less production the first year, which can range from anything from a 'slight' loss, to one less cutting, depending on just how late you get it planted, and weather conditions.  

0 Kudos
ray h.
Senior Contributor

Husker-J,Are you in Kansas? Thanks.

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

I can't raise alfalfa. To much deer damage. But like everything else, when other jobs get pushed off into planting I try to work more hours to get as much done as Posible. I just have grass hay and durring late planting a few years ago I would work ground in the morning, cut and bale hay durring the day, and plant till about 2am each night. I sleep 2-4 hours each night and got all planting and haying done in one week. I think I aged about five years that week too.
0 Kudos
ray h.
Senior Contributor

Buckfarmer,you do it like I do,some times have to sacrifice a few good nights of sleep to get thing done anyway or right.Thats why its called work!

0 Kudos
Longcreekfarms
Senior Contributor

Being a one man show has its challenges, but it has it's rewards too. When the bills are all paid, anything left over is all your's!
I have a lot of pride in doing things myself and doing it more profitable than the guy down the road. When I set something down, it's there when I come back. If I don't do something, it's still there when I get back to it.
I grew up with 4-5 Mexicans around the farm full time. Between their wages, their screw ups, and losing valuable time just checking up on the progress and correctness of whatever they were doing... I'm making more money now than the old man did then. I'm also running over more acres but I'm more mechanized too. One man running a stacker wagon can put up as much square hay as a kicker baler and 4 brown guys.
Back to ray's question... Top dressing wheat will happen as soon as ground is dry enough to get on. Baby calves are hitting the ground. Corn and bean planting comes second after the cattle. Hay ground is the 3rd string around here. Cattle, grain, then forage are my concerns. Good hay is valuable as I've been moving 6x4 Timothy rolls for 70 and 5x4 alfalfa rolls for 80. Trouble is, people in my area seem to think anything in a tight bale with string around it is top quality hay. I don't make junk, but these people wouldn't know the difference between dried up alfalfa sticks and bales full of good alfalfa leaves. So long as its green...
0 Kudos
JCCWIS
Senior Contributor

Longcreek : One man operation here also ........and a small one at that....consider myself in the twilite of my farming career. Hay also  is the third leg of this operation. Corn , soybeans pay the bills and keep me alive for another year. Hay basically gives me something to do during the summer. Small squares....marketed to horse people , small dairys , calf growers , goat milkers and even rabbit farmers on occasion. Quality generally determines where it goes. And quality determined by cutting date and color. Alfalfa- grass mix or straight grass not usually a factor.

Price  determined by the height of animal consumimg the hay !!!! Rabbit hay always a lot higher per bale than horse hay and it is the same hay. 2nd and third cuttings priced higher than 1st.

New seedings are done Aug. 1....after oats harvest or reseeding existing hay after 2nd cutting.   John

0 Kudos
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Ray, I'm located in more or less Central Nebraska.

0 Kudos
ray h.
Senior Contributor

buckfarmer-Longcreekfarms-JCCWIS     Funny you guys admit you are one mand bands,so am I. I farm about twicei what I did with my father back in the 70 and 80s. Equip and less diversification makes the job easier.I will admit the thrust of my post are towards the demand of cool season grasses.I produce cool season grass seed,and am always causious of what the dealers are telling the producers,(excuses for lack of interest.) Do not buy it all,that is for fools.This site is for ones ability to educate ones self.

thank you guys for your resonces!

0 Kudos