cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

from the parlor pit 6-23

Well we got four inches of rain here in Wesely.  Some flooding but we didn't get any hail so we will survive. 

Blocks are taking a beating again probably will turn back up this week I don't see us closing below 1.40 on friday.

Butter closed at the highest since the fall of 2008.  Butter is more than tight. The worlds largest butter churn is in new Ulm Minn. it is running at full capacity and cannot fill the orders.  With butter over 1.70 we sill see class one move higher this will defiantly help the milk checks going out from here.

Well short and sweet this morning . Any advice in dealing with corn companies on bad seed?  They want me to replant I am a little lery as with this 4 inches of rain will be some time next week before we can get any field work done. That is way to late I think. Be safe. JR

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DW11
Veteran Contributor

Re: from the parlor pit 6-23

We received 1.75 inches of rain and we didn't need any of it.   Some of our best ground in a normal year is going to yield zero this year.  Reminds me of 1993.  The crop condition ratings are finally starting to show it, but I think there will be a continued degradation in the ratings for SD.

I would be leary of replanting corn right now, too, because you probably will end up with light, wet corn that the seed company will want to offset against your damages without discounts for drying costs etc.  You have an obligation to mitigate your damages to the extent you can, but that doesn't mean spending good money after bad.  What about planting soybeans? 

0 Kudos
4wd
Senior Contributor

a bit late to replant corn. But, you need a cover crop of some kind to protect the ground from blowing this fall and catch the snow this winter for next spring's moisture.

0 Kudos
behog
Frequent Contributor

Looks like the heat is one all across the country.  It is early for it to be this hot.  I wonder if this means that we will be in for a long hot summer.  My cows are in a open side freestall barn with fans and sprinklers and milk has started to suffer already by a couple pounds.  The guy up the road who is in and old facility  said his cows went from 70 lbs to Lbs of milk.  I hate to see people suffer from this heat , but maybe it is what we need to ramp up the milk price.

I have not seen the latest numbers on culling.  Is culling ramping up?  Beef price is pretty good and replacements are pretty cheap.  Are people culling and buying replacements??    Will this raise replacement values in the long term??  Gotta go.  Got some straw to unload...

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

4WD I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.  It's really strange the seed was spread out in all 12 rows of the planter.  in one row you can count 3 healthy plants than 6 dead than maybe 10 healthy than a string of maybe 10 feet all dead. The field has 50% loss.  six rows seem to be the worst. 

I planted all my first year corn to a liberty link corn this year as my corn on corn acres seemed to have to much volunteer corn.  My COC acres were all planted to a smart stax with RR that is what is giving me fits. 

I just didn't need this stress. Actually if the Corvus had worked it wouldn't even be a problem. JR

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Behog Cull numbers are still strong may have dropped off a bit from last month but still really strong. Out here in IOwa we are seeing some stronger numbers. 

I have a migraine headache tonight I thought gettin on here might get my mind off it but that ain't workin so I think I will go to bed. JR

0 Kudos