cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

how many?

'I wonder how many have no clue what if any what kind of budget they are going to be operating with.

Talked to two farmers in this area that haven't bought one seed yet. I've only bought soy so far. Unlike me the other two farmers farm thousands of acres each.

I don't believe one has the banker in his corner yet. 

With no real farm giveaway and cost structures to raise a crop what it is how many are still up in the air?

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

Re: how many?

everything was locked up before the calander rolled over

just waiting on mother nature to say go

0 Kudos
westernia80
Senior Contributor

I have a budget with with real seed, fert and chem costs from coop.  I havent bought anything yet though.  Going to the bank this afternoon to set up operating loan from this year.  (I hope). Cash flow is positive barely,  good thing wife works in town.

Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

I'm planning on going to a land sale tomorrow, not a large parcel but in the area none the less. Wonder if it will actually sell.

0 Kudos
OKdon
Senior Contributor

I don't know what the market is going to do. I am going to do what I always do. Corn and beans just like normal. Yes I will make money but perhaps not as much. I haven't let a lender determine my cropping decisions for well over a decade now. Decisions made on their merit not by what some banker thinks.

I suspect you are in the same category and you know full well how nice it is to be self financing. I larned that lesson back in the 80's. I still use the bank to store some money but they don't charge me storage yet.

hardnox
Advisor

I don't have a good sense at all of the general credit conditions.

I suppose if there's a significant shakeout it will be some consolation to people who kept some powder left over from the boom but for the most part the beneficiaries will be people who were well heeled and well positioned before and are now immensely wealthy. Young farmers will feel the most pain except those who are the sons and daughters of the aforementioned.

More power to them but I see no need to subsidize them any further, or to act as the poor rube in overalls who testifies before congress on the pitiful state of farming, the death tax etc.

0 Kudos
tree fmr
Advisor

If the cold weather didn't kill the cover crop gonna let one field mature. Then turn the tiling man loose mid summer. Figure he will look forward to the business this year.
0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

I've got everything that i could possibly think of purchased. From fert and fuel to filters and spray additives. I know of one guy that has 2 farms for sale and a nice home at a lake to get financing arranged. He has beena high dollar cash renter.

I know of one guy that "stiffed" the landlord on an 80. those situations are being kept pretty quiet.

0 Kudos
idalivered
Advisor

Hobby, Last week i was working at another farm (where i don't live) and a pickup from a jd dealer 20 miles away pulls up. Last i remember i bought a grain cart from them in 1986!!  We chat and he talks about their shop and gives me a flier with newer used equipment sales and says "if there is anything we can do for you..."  That was odd, he was out just driving around beating the bushes. Are things slowing down??

I also got a cold call 2 days ago from the chevrolet dealer in forest city iowa about the same things and do i have any questions about anything. I've never bought anything from them in my life and have "shyed away" from GM (obama motors) since their bailout.  How the heck did they call me? Is this the same thing as the jd dealer??

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Based on the story of the grasshopper and the ant, it might be a little hard right now to admit you are a grasshopper. 

Like you, being an ant is far superior.

With the water level dropping we have a very good chance of finding out who has been skinny dipping.

All this is going to do is consolidate farming even more.

0 Kudos