Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw363535
Honored Advisor

just love those elite news feeds

Wonderful tidbit from "Reuters" ----

UKRAINE AND RUSSIA: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW RIGHT NOW

Well that is all I read in that article...... Condescending  to decide for me what I "need" to know and even worse to enter the time qualifier-- "Right now".   How about telling me what Reuters knows.  Then I will decide if it was time well spent.

Im tired from a days work....... sure was a short article.  But Im thankful they gave me the peon warning.

Reuters can be so .......................

Let me know if there is anything you think I need to know that hasn't been reported by everyone else.

12 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: just love those elite news feeds

What I`m sick of is the media saying "Trump gave a speech and said without proof ...."  well, you know what Biden said (without proof) that "you can`t catch covid if you get the vax".  And  they also say "Trump repeated the lie that the 2020 election was rigged" , but we never heard that about Hillary, who "repeated the lie that Russia rigged the 2016 election".

Aren`t journalists supposed to report and NOT editorialize??

sw363535
Honored Advisor

The one on Reuters I remember most is the reports on the number of swine dead or destroyed because of disease a few years ago, and how it was going to lower Chinese imports of grain by massive volumes,..... destroying us grain prices.

yet the last 15 years hasn't seen one year when the grain appetite in China has reduced excessively on a world wide basis.

A word I am sick of is "narrative"---- but I don't think we will see the end of its use for a long time.  It is just simply easier to write about the story being told by others than it is to actually find something new and thoughtful. (Or observe without bias.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

A big problem is all these "Twitter experts" I`m guilty of this myself, but I try to find accredited people on Twitter to glean information from.  Twitter has made everyone an expert and the media go to Twitter for their sources, "what`s trending on Twitter" is a newsworthy story.  

I don`t know, but on our local news it`s run by college kids and they read us the news directly off of their I-Phone at times.  They have certain "go to" people to get opinions, a farmer, a political professor at the local community college, a state trooper, a naturalist... and if you talk to these experts in person they all say "I was taken out of context and barely recognize saying what they said I said". 

Not many gray haired "roving reporters" these days.  And I suppose the national news isn`t much different only on a larger scale, they have a Cargill spokesman willing tell them where the markets will go. 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

I agree.  

I pick on media a lot because it is easy to find the immature irony in most written things in print.  But your right, we contribute heavily to the lack of scruples and twitter is a very good example........ ......  

I am very tight on my "who to follow" restrictions.   I'm at 58 and nervous it it goes up more.  I will drop a follow at the drop of a recipe or a dog picture.  If they are following thousands their out.  If they don't have good credentials in their field of comments-- I don't waste my time.  

Then there are the others.  If they got fired from the New York Times...... I'll follow for a while just to see what is going on.  I was told very young to always have a card file of "go to" folks you respect.  doctor, electrician, grain broker, weather person,  at least three you respect religiously, The best farmer you know and always be looking for two more.  

I avoid the entertainment industry.... be it TV movies or sports....... The biggest opinions and the least educated minds in the world.  I avoid profanity...... that weeds out a lot..... most of those need the ego boost because they know they have no idea what they are talking about.

Finally PUSHing.........  All social media is arrogant thinks they are smarter than people who are dumb enough to participate in social media formats....... Ironic isn't it.     But I will never follow anyone who is pushing something .....and every format pushes the age old bait used on human suckers...... sex, envy, greed, and politics(which includes hatred, elitism, etc etc etc).  far too many on twitter are pushing something.  Their body, Their candidate, Their ignorance, most likely.

I follow a few maybe 15 that make it worthwhile.... I want to know what they think on a daily basis.  Often on moral issues or great thinkers like Musk.  I enjoyed the way he pointed out the fallacies of the twitter format.  Like most others they claim virtues they do not have.  Folks who are shaking up the corrupt federal system have these formats and deserve to be followed until they prove unworthy.  It is a good format to judge character I think.  The follow who delivers the political platform becomes an instant unfollow.   As well as anyone who is still trying to point out our terrible choice for a president.--instant unfollow.  How many times did he run and fail.  5 at least........ anyone just now discovering he is a bad candidate has nothing to offer.

k-289
Senior Advisor

LIKE  , marketing  info  of  $30  beans ,  &  feeding  the  world  ,  &  $upply  chain  ,  &  fresh  water  being  of  endless  supply for  desert  locations    etc. , etc. ,  etc. = = =

''' I  don't  recall  '''' -  humble  pie ,  being  in  an  adequate - supply - chain  position ,  while  currently  a  '''' North  breeze  ''' at  10 -15  , with  a temp  of  93  at  Lincoln  Nebr.  - heat  index  102 ,  from  radio  station  on  I -80 ,  although  they  refer  to  European  Weather  Model   quite  often = = =  

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

One thing about Sue Martin and "$30 beans" to listen beyond the eyewash headline, there`s a lot of conditions she explains to get to the POSSIBILITY of "$30 beans".   I would rather hold accountable all the bad new bears advisors who tricked those who listened into selling  $11 and $12 beans who then left $5 on the table when beans went to $17.   Those who listened to the bad news bears aren`t the ones driving their new pickups to the land auctions.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

I'm  anticipating  the  $29.35  bean  sale  opportunity will  happen  after  those,  2  for  1 ,  seed  unit ,  early  pricing discounts  appear = = =   

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Yup, you don’t need to know no steenkin’ nuthin. The less the better.

And BTW, Chinese grain imports did drop quite significantly in the ‘18-‘19 Ag year.

I hope you cranky old farts don’t get your biscuits and gravy on each other while you’re bellerin’ at the coffee shop.

0 Kudos
dwillinois
Senior Contributor

Or like when you said tariffs would destroy market share and take 10 yrs to gain back 

@sdholloway56 wrote:

Yup, you don’t need to know no steenkin’ nuthin. The less the better.

And BTW, Chinese grain imports did drop quite significantly in the ‘18-‘19 Ag year.

I hope you cranky old farts don’t get your biscuits and gravy on each other while you’re bellerin’ at the coffee shop.

Tariffs been lifted yet???

0 Kudos