cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

late august.....

Well......first it was July with all that 90 day corn......then its late August....

REALLY......1B out of I'L alone by late August.......that's over 6M acres at a 165 avg.......over half of I'L acres......and yes I know the report said 59percent was in the ground.......let's get real folks.........some of that isn't and may not get out of the ground, either too wet or too dry.......some of its been hammered by cold temps.......and I am betting the good portion was planted with 110 day plus maturities.......

Guess no one cares about May, June, July and August..........

Most growers would attest to the fact if corns coming out of the field in August there was stress involved........just ask some of those boys about 2010......early crop might mean a stop gap in the pipeline, but it will mean less bushels overall.......

And yes certain areas will pay for water to get the corn this fall.......again, not a surprise......

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

Re: late august.....

Just saw a forecast for parts of IA that has rain and 50's for highs thurs thru monday......and a low of 34 sunday nightish.......going to be some cold corn.....

Bring on the 164 or 14 challange........

How many more acres will soya buy in 10 more day......

Again, take a hard look at old crop and new crop soya......let corn ride, its too cheap and the longer its too cheap the faster and harder it swings too expensive......
0 Kudos
werkman53
Contributor

Re: late august.....

Our planters are rolling around here north of Peoria, IL, along I-80. Couldn't stand it any longer. We are probably a little behind everyone else, but its not May yet. Anywhere from 106-113 day corn. I am not even sure what 90 day corn looks like. Not many around here are trying to play that game this year. Many were burned last year when they planted April 6-10 and then replanted in May with the rest of us. Some of them got their $48/acre replant payments from MPCI, doubt that covered their new seed. I am not sure I have ever harvested much in September, let alone August. Maybe I should be planting 90 day corn and hoping for a drought, then the trade can have some of my corn in August. Otherwise, they can have some from me in October/November since I can't store all of it on farm.

Last year we planted the same maturity corn during the middle of May and harvested the end of October at 15%. Yield was good, but not the best.

Our soybeans will get delivered when it quits snowing and the GFS model quits showing soybean death a week out.

0 Kudos