Honored Advisor

less than expected

Walked out in a 85 ac field I hadn't checked yet Looks better from a distance 
Honored Advisor

Re: less than expected

20171005_110736-1.jpg2017-10-05 11.26.00.jpg

Honored Advisor

4 1/2 feet tall, it made an ear, D3 drought. I expected twice to three times this .

I'm thinking 3 acres to make that 170 bu , definitely someone else going to have a home run to average this up. 

Visited with a neighbor that has been doing some custom work had a twenty eight acre field make 620bu total. Same twp I'm in. Yep Iowa too. 

Looked at one of my bean fields next to that corn field, not sure it'll make 30.

Yep definitely less than I expected 

Honored Advisor

[ Edited ]

Hobby \\

The reports of good yields catch my eye like everybody else, so I always read to see who is quoted and what the location, and it always seems to be third hand hear say.  Seldom an actual number..... or location...  Right now we have 3 or 4 combine reports from guys on this board of beans.......and corn very few..... well even in Iowa that looks highly variable depending on spotty rainfall......(River barge rates based on low water in rivers does not seem like record crop production on the way)

This has been so true that It is suspect...... Especially when you and I just took a look at a lot of acres.  And I know that half the corn and a share of beans in kansas have already been harvested.  One would think even bankers would know some yields by now.  We saw a lot of beans going to truck in central Iowa where I finally saw some normal expectation beans.....last wednesday.........  Even there in the "best we got... farm show....seed producing" acres one could see tassels gone across high ground and hill sides.... a little spotty here and there for Iowa...  800 miles is a long way to drive to see an even corn field without a center pivot.

But naturally silence means MT is harvesting 90 bu beans to help average all the 25 bu beans in Ks and probably 220 bu corn.... eeeeerie silence!!

The long list of potential yield kings is pretty silent.......  just the distant echo of the marketing and seed reps howling at the moon on a nightly basis??

It is not that distant...... but if you tell a lie long enough it will become the truth...   even voters eventually see through that one.... Wish ag media could.

Advisor

Not many farmers running corn "here" yet. I would say we are half way done with beans in my area. Most yield reports on beans are less than average, 30's and 40's. The lowest I have heard was a field that averaged just over 20 bu. 

Senior Reader

I'm in northeast Missouri, got about half my corn acres done, no yield monitor on combine and so far I've dumped everything in a bin, so just a rough guess right now, somewhere around 120 bushels an acre.  Talked to a friend at work today, he's about 35 miles from me, and he said about the same yield for his corn that he has done.  This friend at work also said he'd ridden in the combine with one of the 'big boys' in the area over the weekend, and this 'big boys'" soybeans were about 37 bushels an acre.

Talked to one of my friends from my hometown in central Iowa and he said his corn was around 220.  This friend has no beans - all corn to feed his hogs, but one of his friends in central Iowa said his beans were in the 60-85 range.

I guess it just depends on what cloud you were under during July and August and if that cloud supplied you with enough rain to make a decent yield.  

Advisor

Talk of yields without a comparison to APH or a benchmark average doesn't provide perspective.

Heard an analyst on KOWZ this morning talking about "big" yields but then she added the "10 to 20 bushel less than last year" comment.

Meant something then - not just reporting from the echo chamber.

Senior Advisor

I see the problem here Hobby ! You should have used a tall boy beer can instead of that short little dam ole Coke can !  -  The ears would have been longer !

Veteran Advisor

[ Edited ]

Don't have a yield monitor, but here's a real corn yield from one place I've finished, all went to elevator -- 197.7/acre for 2017, approved APH 172, best ever 230 in 2014.  Haven't cut any beans yet.

P.S. -- for corn, my expectation was  . . . better than APH, but not a record.

Veteran Advisor

Hobby......is that your popcorn crop ????

sorry