cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

locking it in today (new crop that is)

Average corn crop         180 bushels @ october cash corn $3.26 or    $585. gross per acre

Average bean crop          55 bushels @ october cash beans $8.57 or  $471. gross per acre

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: locking it in today (new crop that is)

Lucky
NC. Corn. $3.19
NC beans $8.39
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Why? No weather premium exist at this time. BTW we still have a plus basis in old crop corn here in the eastern cornbelt.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I have some Nov beans sold at 9.15 and 9.24, but no corn.  This is a tough year to figure.  If beans get cheap soon I'll buy calls.  If they don't, I'll probably wait and sell more later, like June.

Corn I'm just watching.  Hope I didn't trade a bad price for a worse one.  Could be a La Nina rally, too early to tell.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The thing is, how much of one`s APH are you comfortable in locking in?  especially before it`s planted.  So unless if you are only brave enough to lock in half at those prices, the gross income would be subject to change.  Or you lock in 100% of those gross amounts and LaNina arrives early and you have to buy calls, that adds to your expense too.

Around here I`d be more comfortable figuring 200 on bushel corn than 55 bushel beans, probably figure 45 bu beans and sweat a little about that..but each area is different. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Same here...much easier to grow respectible corn than soybeans. I have never even averaged 55 bpa soybeans. Had one field top 60 bushels in 30 some years of farming,

and that was before roundup beans. You know the first year I farmed, I actually had 50 plus bushel beans, and that has been awfully hard to beat ever since.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Don is $114 enough to make up the additional cost of raising corn....?  Fertilizer costs alone would be $86 higher...   drying and handling charges on the additional 125 bushels per acre might catch the rest of it...  

Looks like that favors Beans..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Man y'all's basis sucks on corn and beans. $3.78 corn $9.36 beans here today for new crop.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

where is "here"?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

If we wasn't fertilizing the  corn we wouldn't raise 55 bus of beans. we try to plant corn varieties that require little drying charges. Last year 200 bushels of dry corn per acre. hauled to town an d sold over the scale. Corn bid hasn't been exceeded yet. 

0 Kudos