cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: locking it in today (new crop that is)

We are diappointed if we don't get 50 bushels of beans, but beans don't like wet feet and we have some pattern tiled acres. 2015 beans averaged 63 bpa according to bin measure, so it isn't certain yet. corn went over the scale at 200 bushels plus.Our corn yields aren't alway that high but lately we have developed high expectations. I guess we are spoiled by good crops that we assume are the new average. Unfortunately we may soon find out that the new average is not set in stone.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

With beans, I can think of a few problems that I have, some I can control and some I can`t.   I`m not a super early bean planter, beans are light sensitive and you want all the growth before June 21st that you can and that means planting before May 1.  Well, there`s risk with that, here in NIa you can get a mid May freeze, then you`re out replanting as the slowpokes are finishing up their first planting.   Also around here it seems most years you plant corn April 20-May 1 then the deluge of rain comes and you don`t get in the field for another 3 weeks.

I plant too thick, extra bean plants are almost as bad as a weed, however once I messed up and planted a whole farm @ 120,000 and the yields really sucked...oh I know many smart guys plant 80K to 120K and bust the bins, but that wasn`t my luck once bitten twice shy.

Soil types I have some slightly alkaline and select varieties on that, then I have some muck type soils that will be the first to cover the 30" in the neighborhood, excellent color, shoulder high...but not many pods!  I think that the high organic matter will the extra nitrogen makes the bean plant lazy and doesn`t produce it`s own N..just sits on the couch and lives off the soil`s nitrogen like a Democrat  Smiley Wink  

Around here about the only dry month is August and that`s a bad time to be dry for beans.  There is things I can control and do differently and other things like weather and soil types that you have to manage and take gambles the best you can and git what you git.  Since I`m in a C/B rotation, I`m not big on fungicide, perhaps that`s a necessity, however in a dry summer it`s a throw away of money where on the best year you`ll maybe get 12 bushels better.

Honored Advisor

and spend 5bushel on the fungicide

Good post ba

0 Kudos
Advisor

Tell me about it. 3.16 and 8.57 here. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Northeast Arkansas

0 Kudos