cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

lots of stranded bushels

It appears as though there are probably millions of bu of corn stranded in the fields with no where to go,  the elevators have piles where they haven't had piles for twenty years or more.  Basis levels of -55 to -60ish But "we're not taking corn today"  being heard a lot of days.

What a blow your doors off kind of year for the non river bottom farmers this year here in southern Ioway.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: lots of stranded bushels

Lots of tonnes of corn stranded in Ontario too.

Still in the field with too much snow to get it and high moisture and low test weight too.

Less area planted so will need imports this year instead of exports, that should start helping the piles.

Understand Michigan the first place to look for importing corn is in a similar situation

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Maybe a backyard thing haven't seen piles where there has been piles for 20 years. Basis narrowing daily e plants calling for corn interesting.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Probably 40% of corn in my area is stranded in the field. Michigan has at least 1 million corn acres left in the field. I finished up with my corn last week. A couple of my neighbors still have beans out, so I may end up with some more custom harvest work whenever the snow melts.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Lots of estimates of 50-60% still out in Ontario.

Late planting because of wet spring has left much corn high in moisture then wet fall harvest so the delay which has resulted in a lot of unharvest corn and some soys too.

That which has been harvested is mostly light weight grade 3, 4 or 5.

Was driving in the Stratford area yesterday and I am sure there is more than 60% of the corn still in the field and not likely to be harvested soon if I can add a picture you will see why.

It is not Buffalo but Lake Huron deposits here.

Photo0403.jpg

Farm after farm like these

Photo0404.jpg

0 Kudos