cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

mad as an ole wet hen

yes....this is about marketing.......sorta........

been doing some reading this morning........getting in one of my really good moods.....seems like that is every day anymore.

buzzed about the internet, and thought, just out of kicks, i'm going to the source, the processors.....so after some digging

found the numbers to a couple of legel moonshine plants not all that far away, and visited with them....nobody i know of

sell's direct to them........but the coop trucks have a path to them........

And after I dialed the phone........the trouble started.........

i had asked our local coops about the places.....they never had a good word for them....etc....etc........

well........the question is, who is the one that isnt the good guy........locals are paying 60 to 65 under for milo.........

at the moonshine plant.......only 30 cents under !!!!!!!.....and they would arrange shipping if needed !!!!

we also have a gluten mill.........wheat is 60 to 65 under also........well the plant.....only 10 under......and they also

pay protein premium.......the coop does not pay anything for protein.........but they test for it.

same way on shipping

talked to the soybean plant.....now it is father away.......we are looking at 80 to 85 under.........they were 30 under, again

would work on shipping.

i know i'm from the old school........everyone reminds me of that fact almost on a daily basis.......but how...how can

our local coop people face us owners and customers every day........pulling such stuff like this behind our backs.

using our money, to buy trucks, build elevators etc........last year....there was only a 4 cent equity return on each bu of

grain.....how do they live with themselves ????

and if it isnt bad enough on the grain, but the margins on the agronomy side !!!

case in point. a buddy of mine had some late stuff this year, and planted wheat late.......he needed some seed wheat.......

now he was at the end of the wheat planting season.......they were not going to sell any more seed........what we old

farts would have done, cut the price, tell him he would have to take all of it at that price.....and been done with it.......

we would have still made money, but not as much, but i got rid of it, and we cleaned things out..........that is the

way we used to do it........

today.............

they wanted the same amount as when planting first started......a couple of days later i was told by an employee that

they cleaned out the seed bins, and hauled them to the elevator and dumped them............

so.......we lost money..........

i think the operations of coops mimic the market place......no rhyme nor reason, nobody is in control of anything, it is a corp

so nobody has any blame.....we just mark it up and pass it on......so what......that's the way it is,  what difference does

it make....we're just getting a paycheck.....who cares if it's right or wrong, we go with the crowd, if someone gets hurt,

too bad, but glad its not me..........

same with coop employee's (seems the higher they are the worse they are and they are the one's that smile and shake your

hand), and the traders in the market (well spare you gio....atleast you try to be honest with us).

I don't know if we really need a markets page anymore.......there is such a huge disconnect......oh it's world this, and that,

and etc...etc.......i'm sorry that is a song and dance we are told......much of the production of the crops in this country is

consumed in this country, not abroad.......it would seem to me the key factor would be your biggest customer, not

the ones a few places down.......but that is what we do......why......because what else are the market players going to

use for info......?????????

I'm sorry, but in my lopsided view anymore.....the markets are broken......and i really don't know how to fix them

they are soo far out of alignment.....and nobody wants to fix them, because they are all making money on the way

things are.

ok.........fire when ready !

0 Kudos
21 Replies
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Re: mad as an ole wet hen

Ok - this is pretty simple to fix elcheapo - Just start your own Moonshine plant - legal and all and then you get all the profits . And for you - No Charge

I can see it now - Get a buzz on with ceapo shine - Made for Farmers by a Farmer AND made in the good ole U.S.A.

0 Kudos
too close for comfort
Senior Contributor

You make me smile. Ever time I read one of your rants I can see your family rolling their eyes. Keep up the good work.

0 Kudos
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

care to come over and visit for a few days ?

0 Kudos
WCMO
Senior Advisor

Is your elevator actually a cooperative, or is it privately owned, or some corporate elevator?  If it's a cooperative, I'd be asking some of those questions to a board member or two.  If it's a big cooperative, maybe the local has an advisory board.  Not really to complain, just to ask questions (you catch more flies with honey).  And, on those differences in price spreads, how are those as compared to the cost of hauling to the plant from the elevator?

0 Kudos
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

it's a medium sized cooperative coop.  The boardmembers....they tend to "nominate" the large operators.  They

only seem to concentrate on how fast they can dump....and looking twards the future.....they put on a really

nice horse and pony show at the monthly meetings...they all think the management team is wonderful and "we are

lucky to have them".  a couple of years ago the chairman just about broke down crying at how good our

manager is....need i say more ?

well one ethonal plant is about 30 miles away..depending on the route you take...i could get you there shorter

but don't know if you could get a semi down some of those cowpaths.

i got a quote for 60 miles away for 30 cents a bushel....

0 Kudos
giolucas
Veteran Advisor

Well, at least Elcheapo is bad mouthing someone other than traders.  

0 Kudos
rayjenkins
Veteran Advisor

el cheapo.......did you ever stop to think that the reason those outrageous spreads between your local elevator and the processor exists is because  a nice fella like you do not choose to adapt to the new world we live in today....

and those elevators are going to continue to keep those spreads wide until you show them you know how to play the game....

timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

Yes his is, but as usual with rants, he mostly is embarrassing himself. If he really didn't know the processor bids, that is his fault, not the coop. Maybe he should buy a truck and be in it instead of on here so much???? just a question.

You can rant that the markets are broken all you want but were they broken at $8 corn and $12 wheat. I find nothing broken about them except the illegal frontrunning by computers, and the lack of gov oversight of monopoly practices by our suppliers (N/P/K prices are completely indefensiable) and our customers. But in reality, there is alot of corn around, the price should be low for goodness sake. Wheat is even worse apparently.

llakmf
Veteran Contributor

Just curious time, how does South America variable cost compare with United States row crops.

0 Kudos