cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

markets being destroyed

i cant take any more of this prosperity! Good Lord  We are losing wheat market to Russia and ukraine. Losing corn and bean market to SA. As a minor oilseed grower, canola, we sold it into canada but then they arrested Hua Wei’s daughter so china shut off all canola imports! To top it off our county was the lowest MFP payment! Wont get enough to pay fuel bill!!! when Carter embargoed Russia in 1979it hurt wheat exports and corn and beans and it took decades to be a reliable supplier in the world. This president has destroyed almost all ag exports!!! Farmers are screwed 

9 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Oh, quit your whining, it's only going to get worse.

Give it another year, then it will get worse and you'll really have something to whine about.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: markets being destroyed

Last week, I done some major blasting on the current situation for farmers about the current administration.   I have been on trading missions to China for 15 years.....

Then today of all things....I see Governor Kim Reynolds saying that farmers are in this trade war for the long haul.   It is only stupid comments like this that she makes and does not understand the plight of the small family farms in the mid-west which also emboldens Trump on the trade war.   No, Ms. Reynolds......it is not so rosy as you make it to be....small town Iowa is suffering; from the banks to the family owned business in rural Iowa.    After all you were the first trying to convince Iowa farmers that the Chinese Trade embargo was great when it was only in the discussion phase...

The proposed farm aid is only going to the large farm operations...yes great for people like me, but it is also very political in the distribution.   Case in point.....Devin Nunes, the guy that got caught relaying information to Trump about the investigations of corruption.....his areas got $150!    Explain that one!

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Image result for winston churchill quotes

0 Kudos
Contributor

This is all from the suits with crops on paper, and never seen dust.  They convinced, oh wait advised they call it, a bunch of farmers to sell their crops by April. Now they are holding papers for crops that won't be brought in.  The total yield will be way worse than is being portrayed.  They know they will need to buy crops to fill their contracts, so they push the prices lower every chance they can. They always have reasons for dropping it, but when the news is exactly the opposite of why they dropped it last week, they still drop it and throw out the old excuse of China.  Someone said on here a while ago.  "Hang on to your crop until you see the whites of their eyes".  I agree.

Senior Contributor

good one about hanging on to your crop. This is rarely a good time to make sales....too much positioning before harvest.....my bet is that prices in six weeks will be much higher than they are now, even as harvest picks up.

The big gains will come once harvest is complete, the piles of corn through out the corn belt are not in existence and end users have to convince grain to move to market via price action.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Your  Hoping   -  remember  end  users  aren't  receiving  M  F  P,  so  demand  could lighten   -  -  - 

And  with  the  increase  of  the  2019  - Family Farmer  Relief   Act ,  that  option is  on  the  table,  made available  in 1986   - do  a  comparison  of  events,  as  history  repeats  it's  self    -  -

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I don`t like that raising Chapter 12 from $4 million to $10 million at all.  In the 80`s it was a rock that high rollers held over the head of their lender...and the taxpayers to write down their debt, no consequences for poor business practices. I face challenges with everyone else, but took employment and imposed a moratorium on new debt to make a "smaller indebtedness footprint" and hopefully claw my way out the other side.  But would I be better off going to the John Deere dealer  and "double down" knowing what I owe can be written off one day?   No, it stinks to high heck!

Senior Contributor

badeere

agree with u completely. Live within your means. In my opininion.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

It is a tool that was brought into law by the people you may have voted for our current President has not been ashamed to use it just saying 

sure is a good role model for our country won’t mention morals

0 Kudos