cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

must be bad...walmart closing stores

Walmart released that they will be closing their "market express" stores in the united states, and overseas.

here in the united states, they will be closing 154 market express, and perhaps some under preforming neighborhood

market (i thought they were also called market express), walmart and sam's stores.

but, in the same statement, they plan on opening roughly the same number of new wal-marts......which have a larger

format than the market express.

when the largest retailer is feeling the pain..........ah, someone needs to wake up.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
OKdon
Senior Contributor

Re: must be bad...walmart closing stores

Wht they are telling you is that the smaller units are not producing the return n investment that the larger units do.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Where are the locals gonna get their Chinese junk fix?

How many Chinese are going to be outta work?  Gonna be a ripple effect. How many bu of beans will they not be able to buy?

0 Kudos
farmer46
Senior Contributor

Very funny Hobby.  Yes I believe sales in the stores are slowly falling.   But, Now Walmart is trying to catch up in the online sales.  I know that very high amounts of money is now invested in improving the online sales of food to your door service.  Complete online only food warehouses are in progress.  Walmart has fallen far behind in this field, but will be making a large play to catch-up.   For many rural people, the thought of just ordering your food products anytime with home service seems not profitable.  But, in the urban areas this will be the future more and more. Happy New Year 

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Don  they are closing some  SUPER CENTERS  also -  the one in Austin Texas throws a read flag due to the population growth in that  area - interesting --- Bring on the drones ---

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

How long will it take to unionize those drones, Don?

Theft in flight may be a new cost calculation....

Will you eat those pork chops left in your yard overnight?

I am glad I am not investing the money it will take to get that one off the ground.

Farming is risky but closing stores and replacing it with direct delivery sounds like a real maybe...

I got a feeling that one dies in california....

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

SW -  Drones  the  latest   snake oil  hula hoop ?  Maybe the feedlots will replace pen riders with them that way one could be in San Diego and still ride herd ---

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

It is amazing where the human mind can go with a new idea....  We never want to say never....

I have a good friend here who thinks about the irritation of his neighbors and says I'll never own one...

And hobby has one already playing with it....  Just yesterday it dawned on me what he would be like in Iceland with the mobility of that camera...

But your right,, there is always a fad out there that looks like a barn burner but when you sleep on it ---- it starts looking like high risk..

Krispy Kreme was a recent one that had investors excited for a little while.  Even enticed a pretty fair amount of franchise dollars but turned out to be a flash in the pan...well maybe that would be below expectations

0 Kudos
vrbuck
Advisor

It is all a fallout of the destableisaton of the health care industry because of Obama Care.  If your healthcare premiums have increase by a factor of 4 or 5 your not going to be spending money into the economy.  The Obama boonedoggle is much bigger then the decrease in gas prices.  Even if your job pays a percentage or all of it, the increases are passed on to the consumer, making all materials more expensive.  I don't know how any of those european countries can keep universal care in their systems.  

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

That's why they are in trouble financially..... More benefits paid out than benefits created by the person getting the benefits....

0 Kudos