Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

new yield #

New World-Record Corn Yield

By Dan Miller and Karl Wolfshohl
Progressive Farmer

The new world record for corn yield is 503.7910 bushels per acre and it was produced in 2014 by Randy Dowdy of Valdosta, Ga. In fact, four certified yields produced for the National Corn Growers Association (NCGA) National Corn Yield Contest bested the yield record set just last year, in 2013. All four of these entries were produced in the South under irrigation.

The results of the annual contest were released Friday morning by the NCGA. The 2014 Corn Yield Contest drew 8,129 entries. A record six national entries surpassed the 400-plus-bushel-per-acre mark.

"While this contest provides individual growers a chance for good-natured competition with their peers, it also advances farming as a whole," said Don Glenn, chairman of NCGA's Production and Stewardship Action Team. "The techniques and practices contest winners develop provide the basis for widely used advances that help farmers across the country excel in a variety of situations, including drought."

"Disbelief," is what Dowdy recalls when the record yield emerged last August from a continuous-corn, twin-row field. "But I knew it was a good one." Dowdy had set a long-term yield of being the first U.S. producer to top 500 bushels in the contest. He did not expect it to happen this year. His production accomplishment is nearly 49 bushels per acre more than the 454.9837-bushel mark set one year ago by David Hula of Charles City, Va. Dowdy hit 500 bushels with his irrigated entry in this, the 50th year of the corn yield contest

Xxxxxxxxxxxx. Xxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

man o man are we ever slacking off up here in the I states

USDA will probably be able to use at least 250bpa or next year's projections.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: new yield #

It would be interesting to know what the product brand, RM, and the final pop was on those twin-rows.

Amazing, way more than twice the yield of this "slacking off I state farmer."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

National Sorghum Producers also released their contest winners today also. I believe the bin buster award was 246 B/A.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

http://www.ncga.com/upload/files/documents/pdf/ncyc/2014-NCYC-National-Winners.pdf

Here you go

112 day corn. It's a monster number if you place it correctly. It's kinda in a league of its own

Judging by this summary it's kinda hard to figure how MO is a fringe state. IA and IL need to get it fing together. Hell I don't think they hardly cracked 300

Course I got pics from the yield monitor of corn running 285-345 on ground that had all of 120 pounds of N. Guess we shoulda used more N. Mighta had 500.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Really though, Francis Childs raised 442bu/acre on non-irrigated ground 70 CSR in 2004, that was 10 years ago  

http://www.farmanddairy.com/news/corn-king-cleared-of-cheating-rumor/2461.html  

I heard him speak a couple times and multiple applications of over 400lbs of N and crazy high levels of fertility I didn`t think that babying the crop was commercially fisable.

Herman Warsaw was also a high yielder, back in the day

http://www.slideshare.net/jbgruver/farmers-digest-75-herman-warsaw

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

When you've got garden ground, the crop takes much of the guess work out if it, or so I've been told. I don't have any garden ground.

When you've got lower or even middle grade ground you've got to address many additional issues that the gardeners might not need to. Notice that I said might not need to address. Could it be that the producers with lower quality ground are more focused on all aspects of the growing cycle? I'm sure the longer growing season should be advantageous as well. Just my thoughts.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

and more heat units too.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Better enter the contest Shaggy. Why with all that manure you are sitting on...........
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I do enter the contest with each crop I plant. I don't need any astronomic yield number to win my contest, I just need to beat my personal best. Hopefully I'll be my own contest winner every year.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

In believe randy used DeKalb 62-08. 112 day corn.
0 Kudos