Did you mean: 
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

Re: note to staff, have a request

What I think happen to BA was his supplier didn't
Take care of the fuel. From what I'm told
It does take some management.
When I checked a year or two ago, I had
To take a whole semi and it was higher !!
I pushed the coop to carry but they said
No, cost too much, have to put in more
Pumps and tanks.
0 Kudos
davekurns1
Frequent Contributor

Mizzou,

Thanks for your note, and for bringing up the issue. We have been covering renewable fuels, biodiesel, along with the activities of the commodity groups, for many years. We've covered it extensively here on Agriculture.com, and in Successful Farming magazine.

Our role, as I see it and the editors before me, is to report on news, trends, and topics – in an objective way of reporting. We are dedicated to making farmers successful in the field, in the office, and the shop. Should we be more outspoken about renewable fuels? It's a question that I will pose to the staff when we gather after the holidays.

My belief is that we do advocate for agriculture – we want farmers and the industry to thrive. Our role would be to ask these questions of others – such as the commodity groups – to get their answers and hear what initiatives they have undertaken in support.

The issue is very complex, as well. Many different parts of agriculture have differing views on this subject, and every topic. I don't think our role is to share our opinion, but it is to share yours, and others in ag.

Be aware that we watch and read postings across these forums constantly. So, please don't read the delayed response to us not caring. We do. And we appreciate your feedback.

I'll check in with the web team and the magazine editors to form our collective view, and then get back to you.

Thanks for the time and thoughts.

--Dave Kurns

Editorial Content Director,

Successful Farming at Agriculture.com

0 Kudos
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

Dave, we can use all the help we can get. As for advocating, the bigger the voice the better.

All that said I think maybe the biggest hurdle is getting some of these commodity and ag groups to get some fire in their belly and move the needle instead of tread water. I think there are many out there that are willing to help move that needle but sometimes it's hard to know what and where to start. Also half the battle is education and awareness of Ag in general but also biofuels. Big oil has an army of lobbyists and think tanks that spend 24/7 to run down their competition. Those in the power to make decisions need to hear both sides.

So while advocating is great, facilitation and education are probably as important or more important. And those two things might just be something you could help with.
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

I drove across ks and okla into missouri this last month.....

Then another trip across ks into western and southern Iowa in October.

One thing stuck out on the subject was the information at the pump.

Iowa and Missouri are very "vocal" at the pump.  Special marked e pumps and signs and seperation of pumps.

Kansas says little about ethanol at the pump unless it is 85%.... Yet I know that nearly every gallon of regular gasoline in         ks has 10% E.  

Which makes a difference the publicity or the use?  

I guess I have withheld complaint as long as the local e plants are increasing volume and demand, even though I know the local retailers of gas are pocketing some profit on the un advertised ethanol blend.

In Oklahoma there are a few "oil friendly" fuel stations that advertise "no ethanol".  The price is a little higher, but they seem to be busy.  Depends on who you think butters your bread.  Okla is a unique state with agriculture, the oil & Gas industry and those windmill forests all coexisting for an economy other states should envy.      

0 Kudos
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

The price is a little higher for no ethanol? What I have seen is close to 15% higher. That's like getting paid to use e10. IMO our checkoff $$ should be down there fighting for market share, promoting the benefits of ethanol
0 Kudos
davekurns1
Frequent Contributor

Folks,

Not sure if you saw this column on the Opinion pages in the Des Moines Register. But this Huxley farmer is stating his case:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/opinion/columnists/iowa-view/2017/12/27/trump-should-take-io...

One way to help get the information is to share this story, which I will do by Twitter and social media.

Dave Kurns

Editorial Content Director
Agriculture.com and Successful Farming

david.kurns@meredith.com

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Thanks dave,

The article does ignore the problems of competing on the world ethanol market when freight and production is considered.

We will always be at a disadvantage to countries that maintain surplus supplies of grain.  

A society that is feeling fat with a 45 day supply of grain on hand will always be at a disadvantage to a society with 4 years of supply. And our window of production is 150 days for a 115 day crop.  We have 30 to 45 days that have to be right for a good corn crop (july and august) or we are falling short by billions of bushels.

If cyclical prices stay.  And they will because prices and supply are weather related, the country with years of supply never has to sell too low, and never buy at a price too high.  And a country with days of supply always has to sell when prices are low.

We have such good production ability but we stink at supply management.  And have a dismal record at international trade.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

SW - Interesting  stat  - 45 day  vs.  4 year supply --- where is this 48 month supply located , I'm kinda baffled -  excellent points  - Tks       

0 Kudos