cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

our markets have left

have to with Richard Brock on agribusiness this week when he asked what is the long  range plan for ag now that our market has been handed over to SA? He also said Ukraine was a nonexistant player 10 years ago but now have 17% of global sales. We have exported so much of our ag technologies we have destroyed our market share in the name of profit. He had no  answer to getting our markets back.   I’ve been a farmer and a retail store owner for most of my life and one thing is for sure if u upset a customer they wont be back for a long time and maybe never! Unless u are the only one that has what they want or you’re selling at firesale prices and losing your butt! I dont like that solution.         Its one thing when we produce too much and prices collapse but when our markets are destroyed by outside forces it blind sided me. Yes i know the president warned about the trade deficit and tariffs but wasnt sure how it would affect us now i do!  Unless there is a mega drought somewhere else things wont change til population outstrips production. 

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: our markets have left

Farming has gotten so easy that a robot can do it  Smiley Happy  Well idiots that used to plant so crooked that it took 90 acres worth of seed to plant a 80 now plant straight as a string and that`s all technology off the shelf.  Our "factories" have no walls, there`s a old saying "competition is good for business" I agree with that so long as your competition is your 2nd cousin or at least on a level playing field, which is seldom the case in global trade.

If 25% of our production has to be exported to keep our prices at breakeven and the rest of the world views soil as "a structure to hold up a plant"..they have cheaper land, cheaper labor and a lower lifestyle.  But they buy the same seed generics, have the same machinery and other technologies.  Well, let`s say the farm you rent dropped from $200/acre to $80/acre, your hired help would work for $2/hour instead of the $22/hr that you now pay them...could you make money with $8 beans and $3.50 corn?  Damned right you could, but do you want that 3rd world lifestyle?

The answer is a supply management farm program, involving a set-a-side, price supports and a ban on farm commodity imports into the US.   That answer has little support and still there`s more support for doubling down on "market oriented agriculture" racing to the bottom. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

@BA Deere wrote:

Farming has gotten so easy that a robot can do it  Smiley Happy  Well idiots that used to plant so crooked that it took 90 acres worth of seed to plant a 80 now plant straight as a string and that`s all technology off the shelf.  Our "factories" have no walls, there`s a old saying "competition is good for business" I agree with that so long as your competition is your 2nd cousin or at least on a level playing field, which is seldom the case in global trade.

If 25% of our production has to be exported to keep our prices at breakeven and the rest of the world views soil as "a structure to hold up a plant"..they have cheaper land, cheaper labor and a lower lifestyle.  But they buy the same seed generics, have the same machinery and other technologies.  Well, let`s say the farm you rent dropped from $200/acre to $80/acre, your hired help would work for $2/hour instead of the $22/hr that you now pay them...could you make money with $8 beans and $3.50 corn?  Damned right you could, but do you want that 3rd world lifestyle?

The answer is a supply management farm program, involving a set-a-side, price supports and a ban on farm commodity imports into the US.   That answer has little support and still there`s more support for doubling down on "market oriented agriculture" racing to the bottom. 

@BA Deere wrote:

Trump is Truly Not a Yankee trader. 

Soon he'll be gone,  then we'll resume business and innovations for Everyone's benefit again. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Last one to the bottom is a rotten egg!...or is the last one to the bottom the winner? 

The Chinese and domestic trader/traitors are gambling on an upset in November of 2020, well not so fast. If someone like Elizabeth Warren wins, don`t be so damned sure she won`t continue with a tweeked version of the Trump trade doctrine. Oh she`ll take our guns, raise our taxes and "give" us free healthcare, but on trade issues she and a few others aren`t so critical of President Trump`s positions. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Maybe  ,  last  one  to  Greenland  is  rotten  egg ,   the  latest  '''  5  second  '''   tsunami  of  ideas ,  -  -  - 

Is  that  were  we  will  get  our  mild'y   priced  pharma ,  when  Canada  runs  low  - ?         

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I wonder how long the Canadians can remain polite if old goats from Minneapolis go on the bus and buy up all their cheap pills?    Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: The Democrats are no worse that trump? It that's your argument, you've lost.

First, this isn't the place to argue about guns but nobody wants to take all your guns. 

What they want to do is remove a particular kind of weapon, the kind of weapon that can kill or wound 31 people in 32 seconds. Just how many more El Paso' s and Dayton's do we need to see before common sense prevails.  I have rifles, I hunt, I don't own an assault weapon, but if I did, I'd gladly give it up to avoid another Dayton.

In a heart beat.

Besides, they can't raise your taxes if you're going broke.

0 Kudos
Advisor

@BA Deere wrote:

Last one to the bottom is a rotten egg!...or is the last one to the bottom the winner? 

The Chinese and domestic trader/traitors are gambling on an upset in November of 2020, well not so fast. If someone like Elizabeth Warren wins, don`t be so damned sure she won`t continue with a tweeked version of the Trump trade doctrine. Oh she`ll take our guns, raise our taxes and "give" us free healthcare, but on trade issues she and a few others aren`t so critical of President Trump`s positions. 

Trump is done. 

He was a supposed one trick pony anyway. 

The DOW is now in the process of correcting down to bout 17,300. All due to trumps lack of trade and no economics ability. 

Global recession due to lack of USA. 

Better hand Obama credit.  He took a real wreck from 08 and 09 and made a decent USA economy. 

BIG recession now thru 2021.

Trump loses Iowa 1st then New Hampshire.. Etc etc. 

Demos once again have to fix another Wrecked Economy from the supposed repubs.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: The Democrats are no worse that trump? It that's your argument, you've lost.

Oh you can lose money and slowly then suddenly go broke AND owe taxes.

Rick, I`ll just say this on guns, so what happens when the next shooting involves a common 870 Remington pump 12ga loaded with 00 Buck shells?   You don`t think there won`t be calls for banning/confiscating 870 Remingtons? 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Mark, give me $10 Trillion in extra debt, $4.5 trillion on the Fed`s QE spending balance sheet and 0% Fed funds interest rate and I`ll throw you a hell of a party too.

0 Kudos