cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw363535
Honored Advisor

"Off Topic" , serious Marketers only

Hobbyfarmer,

that's an Iowa farmer/investor who has enough sense of humor to farm a little in Kansas and have some roots in Nebraska...  I think a lot of his Off topic entries and how he protected them from being "on topic" on weekends like this.  For there are detailed and serious issues in Gods creation that are of a "higher topic"...  Most of us know that but have a hard time seperating the grain from the chalf.

I have tried to seperate the fluff from the facts in my entries and I fail miserably in comparison, nearly as bad as a paid market anal-ist.. or a weatherman who doesn't realise he has been replaced by technology.

Hobby is in the hospital today fighting a difficult back issue..  coupled with pain meds that don't seem to be working as expected.

Not life threatening, but extremely painful.  Give him some thought if you have a minute or two... 

I appreciate his friendship, and miss his "personality" on these boards.  These boards are not perfect, but neither is "our" individual personalities.  Marketing as well as any other challenging endeavor, can be all consuming and fatal without an occasional repositioning of the priority list.  Hobby in a small way helped me with that and continues to.

We are all wired differently.  I am the guy driving away from the storm, detailing in my mind all the risk factors, and Hobby is probably racing toward it to get a better view.  

I appreciate friends that give me a different and bigger perspective..... It is what the marketing world is largely about..... perspective.  Seeing the bigger picture, viewing it from different angles...

"Back" on subject, pardon the pun, Hobby, I've seen you deal with more than one kind of pain, you will handle it..............

But......... I wish ya well and ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, "Hopes youens gets ta feelin a heep better"

26 Replies
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

Re: "Off Topic" , serious Marketers only

Sorry to hear that. Maybe I should send him a box of sprinkles ?
Wind
Advisor

I don't think I qualify as a "serious marketer" but I have always received money for any grain I have sold. LOL.  but I do qualify for not being perfect.  Reconciling different personalities is almost always positive  and can be a learning experience if we look at what we can learn rather than look at the difference's.  Hobby loved farming, his heart was in it and I do hope he gets well soon. 

I was pumping gas at the Coop the other evening and heard the grain dryers running__in December.

Yes, warm wet weather, they need to be running, I can just hear Hobby telling us to be checking our bins. 

Wind

0 Kudos
rawhide
Advisor

Wish Hobby well and SW make sure you keep an eye on him and watch the doctors too. My wife has serious back problems and the pain meds along with blood pressure meds caused kidney damage.

sw363535
Honored Advisor

Hate to hear that Rawhide.  That is part of the issue for Hobby.  The pain meds turned on him and made it worse instead of better.

I said that sounded like the old hammer to the thumb to help the leg pain, but he hasn't commented on that.

Getting those nerves in the back to stop dancing can sure take time...

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Thanks for posting this up sw -Know what your talking about - 55 and I have had many talks in the past - - Hate to here he's in the hospital -  Drop me a PM if it's OK to give him a call .

Rawhide - hope the Mrs is A OK now ! 

0 Kudos
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

Sw, thanks for bringing this to our attention.  I've always enjoyed Hobby's posts, whether on topic or "off-topic".  He has a down to earth way of looking at the markets, farming, and life in general that cuts through all the nonsense that is so prevalent.  Hobby, I hope you have a speedy recovery and can get back "on-topic" with life again.  May God bless you and get you through this trial.

Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Thanks guys for the kind words and thoughts.

The doctors and nurses all say this too shall pass.

Just not right away.

When first got here at 2 in the morning got a chewing out for not going 20 miles in the other direction for some home remidies from Wal mart

Found out later she is going through a divorce, lucky me, just another guy that needs punished.  She was pretty gruff and grumpy.

Thanks again guys.

Now on to markets etc.

Have sure been reading anidotal reports of subpar beans in mato grasso.

More acres but 1/2 to 2/3 yield potentials.

0 Kudos
r3020
Senior Advisor

Hey Hobby, hope you feel better soon. To the rest of you guys, I have met Hobby and talked to him in person. Super guy. What you get on here is exactly how he is in real life. Hobby, you are in my prayers. Been there with the back thing. My surgery was a 100% complete success. Hope and pray what ever treatment you choose works as well for you. Oh, as to stay on topic, beans made a nice move on Friday, will it carry through on Monday? How bout those cattle futures, up 3 bucks. Yee Haw.

0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Veteran Advisor

Best wishes for a stong recovery Hobby - I look forward to benefitting from your knowledge and perspective again.

0 Kudos