cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
k-289
Senior Advisor

Re: "a boondoggle piggybacking on a boondoggle"

F  Y  I  ,  the  painted  -  yellow  outfit ,  had  1800  hours  on  the  meter , bought  it  new - demo,   7  years  ago   -  -  -  

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Maybe the $1800 turbo was OEM and the $400 one was caveat emptor?   It`s like you can buy a pair of pliers at Harbor Freight for $2 or you can buy a Wilde pliers made in USA for $15.   The $2 pliers might last 2 months until you forget it on a tractor fender and lose it.   You could check Worthington Tractor Parts for a used turbo 1/2 of new price and a 1 year warranty. 

What a dealer told me a few years ago is if they don`t sell a part and it sits on the shelf for a few years, each year interest gets tacked on it, so the poor sap that eventually buys it really gets hosed.  And that isn`t Jerome Powell 0% interest, it`s the 1.5% a month or 18% annual that businesses like to charge.   But I suppose a turbo made in China to manufacturer`s specs could be a more "gold plated price" than what some flim flam outfit could produce it for.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

O  E  M  ,  on  the  box ,  duu-ped ,  oh  well ,  brought  to  you  by  cooperate  profit  insistence  ,  used  one ,  $850 ,  and  what  warrenT , when  shipper  drops  it  off  -  its  yours -  guess  -  try  again  ---

Hint  ,  NO  CORE  CHARGE ,  no  rebuild , being  a  handy  reminder  of  the  buyer  loyalty  fable  - - -   

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

I don't think corn ethanol is so much a boondoggle as it is a Rube Goldberg Machine. The happy result of the accidental meeting of the politics of surging gasoline prices and the failure of MTBE.

As far as an energy program goes, it never was much of one. I'm also a little skeptical of the widely varying net energy stidies but suffice it to say that, purely on an energy basis, even 2:1 isn't worth doing. It was, of course, wrapped to be sold inside a fable of a next generation of cellulosic ethanol, which has failed spectacularly.

It is an OK oxygenating additive and was all we had to replace MTBE at the time. The thing is, if you go back to the stuff surrounding the oxygenation requirements in the original CEA, they assumed a forever extrapoloation of gasoline demand into the future. That's fallen well short of the "dotted line" in reality, and will fall fairly steadily from here. The places that really, really need oxygenated fuel like LA and Denver will also probably be among the heaviest adopters of electric vehicles.

But anyway, Big Government directed a huge amount of capital to ethanol and a lot of economic distortions occurred on account of that. We might as well milk the investment for as quite a while longer and there's no reason to cause a lot of disruption by unwinding the distortions it created.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

To my point, I think the CO2 pipeline scheme is just adding a Rube Goldberg Machine to another.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

I’ll go a little light on the eminent domain thing.

Voters in ME recently rejected a high voltage line bringing cheap Quebec hydropower down through their state to the NE cities. 

Nothing in it for them although, as always, private utilities protecting their expensive generation assets spent a lot to defeat it.

I suppose I’d maybe prefer a pipeline through my farm than a high voltage line- past my house, for sure.

That’s something we’re going to have to figure out and there’s a hodgepodge of state laws and private interests.

0 Kudos