cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farmerguy89
Advisor

rain for midwest next week. is it possibleÉ

Was wondering what your guys thoughts was on this possibility. Doesn``t look drought ending or notÉ

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Mizzou_Tiger
Senior Advisor

Re: rain for midwest next week. is it possibleÉ

Still frost in ground.......varies by area, but still frost........

It takes many many months to recharge to 7 feet............

It will be misleading this spring........top foot or two could have a bit of moisture.............below powder.......that wont show up until about..........um...........pollination and ear fill..........so we get a big happy plant that runs out of water.........

Unless march is warm and crazy wet.........we will need timely rains all summer..........

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

I went up for a little flight near hear Sunday.  There was a lot of water standing on flat fields.  Creeks were anywhere from nearly full to just visible.  I talked to a contractor who said there is still 8" of frost in the ground.

It's hard to tell what is happening yet.  Almost all the snow left with the recent rains.

0 Kudos
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

would think the precip would have difficulty penetrating through 8 " of frost.

our water table in the tropics of Tx is nomally one of the highest nationwide - 2-3 ft down max.

during 2011 -when we were in D4 - our neighbor is in business of installing stadium lights- he said they would dig 7-8 ft down and were having to jackhammer b/c it was like concrete. - still no water that far down.  

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

There is a weather front moving across the Southern Plains during the next couple of days.  Forecasters have it moving just south of the Kansas/Oklahoma border.  Looks like us Kansan's have dodged another opportunity for nice moisture.  Kansas agriculture (at least Central Kansas agriculture) seems like a big game of dodgeball.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

This one would have been a keeper too.  Caught the edge of it since my current location is just 8 miles off the north side of the line.  2 inches of nice wet straight down snow.  picture book style.  Supposed to be better south.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

DID NOT happen unless you post a color picture. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
rswfarms
Senior Contributor

My drain tiles quite running back in late spring/early summer of 2012. They didn't run at all this fall after harvest. The first time I remember this happening since I started buying farmland back in 1986. In Iowa we usually get too much moisture and the waterlogged soils turn our corn a very nice yellow color with a resulting yield loss. This is why we spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to tile our corn fields, we usually get excess moisture above what the corn needs and have to drain the excess moisture out of the corn field or get a large yield loss. Proper drainage/tile on a farm can sometimes either make a break a farms revenue..

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

pic

snow .JPG
0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: pic

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos