cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

roaringtiger not sure

Not only cutting fert there Cat,  They are gona cut acres as well. 

what PLANET your from but you can bet your sweet ass if weather is fit there's going to be lot's of corn planted in 14.Yes we might cut fert as most can and still raise one hellva a crop.I know it's hard to believe that we had a record crop in 13 with NIA having a AVG to below AVG corn crop. 
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: roaringtiger not sure

SA is cutting back, informa says 91.85 for 2014 vs 95.3 in 2013, that's corn acres. Informa said 99 last spring before the planters rolled. Average to below average corn crop? In north Iowa ? You mean to tell me some of best dirt on this planet couldn't produce an above average crop on what did get planted during one of the most spectacular growing years ever witnessed by man?and what was with all the pp acres, a little wet and you can't get it planted? Maybe we need some new blood there that can get the job done.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Farsider....wow is all I can say....

I live and work in south central/south east Iowa, but made three trips up into northern Iowa during the spring and early summer to witness what was going on. The weather was such, and the ground so saturated, that the windows of time to plant, even under adverse conditions, were very, very small. For many it was a difficult choice---plant into lousy soil conditions, or wait while the calendar keeps moving.

It was truly one of those "you had to have been there and witnessed it" situations.

Ray J

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

There is an old adage that we all know, it takes one to know one. I can be a real donkey so you probably know what I think of him.

I was in the midst of the rather wet area, really not too far away from Vinje and had a chunk of PP. He has been known to be rather full of his abilities and the lack of the abilities of others in very trying circumstances.

Oh by the way Ray, since I'm proudly riding my donkey today, do you know what outlook means? I thought Roy was right in saying "
It is difficult to imagine the outlook any worse than it is. " with some, not all but some saying a return to loan rate by the time the next crop is ready for harvest because we could increase carryout over this year, in fact could double it and with all the points you made really how much worse can it get? 4 for quite a few is not a good number, what would 2 do ?

Oh by the way, screw the Happy Holidays, Its MERRY CHRISTMAS !!! You're a good one Ray, I don't have to agree with you but I can enjoy what you write. Time to put the donkey back in his pen.
http://www.humormatters.com/holidays/Christmas/xmaspoliti.htm
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I struggle to see how things look so bleak with Z14 futures at 4.61 and Z15 futures at 4.80

throw a 35 cent Z/N spread on top of that and you are looking at $5 hedges....

now, if we could all just predict the weather we would know if selling ahead that far would be the best, or the worst, thing we ever did...

at least there are choices......better than some places

Merry Christmas

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

north ia farmer,   I never said that there wouldn't be alot of acres planted to corn. I simply stated that the corn acres are going to be cut.    BTW, I guess I should thank you for calling my a**  sweet......but I don't fly that way, sorry. 

And for FWIW,  $3-4 corn is as bad or worse for corn farmers (with minimal input cost reductions), as $7-8 corn was for end users.  With these lower corn prices, the food vs. fuel debate is over for a while.  We should be seeing lower prices for everything "corn" related soon.   ya.........right.  Of course end users don't see the bleakness in $4 corn prices, they won't be happy until we again reach the loan rate.  Of course, some of this increase in land costs will slow down.  With loan rate corn, we will be going the other way quickly.  Don't be the last one to have a farm sale.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

roarintiger,there were acres that should of been planted here in North IA but we all know how crop ins works.

BTW, I guess I should thank you for calling my a**  sweet......but I don't fly that way, sorry. 

I wasn't talking about you it was your better halfSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Roarin, guess its pretty hard for some to grasp that corn acres will be less in 14'.

Cut our own acres by 75% from 13'.  (Guess I'm the only one, LOL!)

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Cut my acres 100%. No corn for me.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

here we go again.

YOU pencil in   trend yield on  reducd acreage, its HUGE.

and, as pritch keeps reminding  TREND is average, sometime we will have above TREND maybe 2 yrs in a row,.

we have teh ability to grow HUGE crops-    too much,, except for teh like of ray and Cargil would would love

a 15  b crop !!!      #$%^&*()(*&^%$#

0 Kudos