cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Re: sunspot count

Based on sunspots there is no reason to assume an above average risk of drought this year.

Based on crop progress there is a small increase in the probability of a big crop.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

That is why usda does not deal in sunspot projections... No reason to look any more wrong than they already do.

Sunspots and usda crop progress projections have similar histories of projecting drought and record yields..... low, very low success rates.  Will it take another 350 years to discover that usda projections are as worthless as sunspot history.

We aren't extremely accurate with weather 5 days out.... Drought is a looking back process.  We should have projected 2012 since it had been moving north east at a slow pace for two years.  But our study of usda projections denied reality of records its fsa and insurance records had already recorded.

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

sd....reread my post. 1. I said may be cooling, not is cooling. We really don't know because there are some real issues with the data that drives your global temperature chart. 2. My point was that a "cooling" trend would really upset the PC apple cart, and drive global famine. You make it extremely difficult to have an intelligent conversation when all you want to do is ridicule. Oldest trick in the book but it still works for those that follow you as their "guru".

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Please describe the "real issues" with the global temperature data.

Yeah, I know, "I'm just saying' that some people are sayin."

I'm just testing how long it will take you to go looking through the confirmation bias crap and find something to post.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

The biggest problem with global mean temperature data is probably that the situation is worse than that portrays, not better.

Sharpest increases are in polar regions. That's a problem not only for ice melt and the resulting impacts, but on account of the vast amount of methane that is locked up there in ocean hydrates and permafrost.

The gotcha game basically involves finding an outlier opinion (often from a Koch funded source), or in finding someone who got out over their skis and made an ominous prediction that didn't happen, at least in the stated timeframe.

The scientific consensus has been pretty good.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

The earth`s climate has changed more times than you can count in it`s 4 billion year history.  Sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad.  Does the earth`s 7 billion population have anything to do with the current if any changes, maybe?   Mother Earth tries to shake some of us off with famine and disease, but we do wonders what developing vaccines and improving yields, even though Mother Earth is turning off lights hoping we`ll take the hint. 

I don`t know if "we" caused this "global warming" (that I`d sure like to see) we had -25° on Valentines Day and a end of May freeze yesterday.  Maybe other parts of the planet are warming, but we aren`t.  I don`t know how mankind can be so arrogant as to think we can stop whatever supposed climate change they tell us we caused.  It`s just a big rip off.   Let the seas rise, it`s what Mother Earth wants.   The ice cubes in my Coca Cola melts, but the glass never overflows.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Don't give him that much....... there is no proof that human activity affects actual climate change,  mostly because there is no way to stop the other factors affecting that change...... or measure them comparably.   Our little computers don't make us wiser just more confused.  2021 is started out very much colder than average in the Northern hemisphere.  Antartica is not melting and we have yet to see a consistantly measurable increase in sea level world wide.  We are ants in the environment with oversized egos.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

One of the not so clever rhetorical tricks is to conflate geological and human timescales.

The planet is warming sharply and rapidly. By the single associated metric of sunspot count it ought to be cooling.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Oversized egos would seem to describe people who think they’re world class epidemiologists, macro economists and climate scientists because their propaganda sources sent them a talking point.

Yeah, buhwhatabout?

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Remember when sulfur regulations were going to destroy the American economy and lead us to communism?

Probably not, because the regs happened and the conversion was easier and cheaper than even proponents could have hoped, virtually seamless.

Bad news- we don’t get that free sulfur fertilizer falling out of the sky anymore.

We do get mercury- a serious neurotoxin that particularly affects fetuses and infants. But fortunately less than half of what we used to since we’ve cut coal use by more than half.

0 Kudos