Honored Advisor

sw comment... corn

On the sw......... new crop prices may not be offering you a lot so far but we are seeing some basis offerings that are better than we have seen in a couple of years this time of year.... (when we often have a hard time getting bids 10 months away)

Even a local coop is +5 this morning for new crop corn with a $4.00 bid...

A few of the end users around are in the +20 to +25 range.  I am starting a few loads committed.... not to the price so much but to that basis.

Senior Contributor

Re: sw comment... corn

Just curious sw, is there less wheat being feed to cattle because of the wheat "price spike" ?  Thus more corn being feed?  Or maybe not as much corn around?  All of my western KS ground gets corn this year, it will take a change in the weather to even get the seed sprouted let alone grow  a crop.  Time will tell.  Had a beautiful 5" snow here with no wind.  A nice Winter cover crop. 

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: sw comment... corn

Yes but no....... yes there is less wheat fed to cattle.... both as a grain and as grazing...   

but no because the price spike is not responsible.

There was almost no wheat as grain being fed to cattle the last several years---at least not cattle for meat.... even though there are poor quality ground piles still available.----1 WDG's and ddg's have have replaced the wheat protein factor that once fed a lot of wheat in summer... 2 ethanol residue combined with increasing cotton seed hulls available are triming back alfalfa and wheat as alternative protein sources.

Yes more corn being fed......  1. more cattle on feed(not where we once were, but growing #s)  2.  ethanol residual as protein and corn as grain in lots.  3.Dairy increased #s.  4. Poultry growing #s.  5 Less corn available for kansas use from Iowa & Illinois as they grow their end user #s ------ Ethanol grind keeps increasing.....this will be the 5th year in a row... working its way to 6 b bushel.

Corn is a good option with the markets we have..... and because the other options dry land are not that great with wheat in the tank...... wheat will have to spike $2 up to buy back acres and without feeding ...probably won't unless there is a world shortage.... still a low chance.

One farm I know of here is going to continuous crop milo and some corn if spring moisture happens... just to avoid wheat dry land.  New cotton acres on limited irrig. is coming out of wheat acres mostly

Spring rain or late snow is likely........ as well as Dec and January are typically dry.  Few places in the US have changed like NW ks in my lifetime..... the farming practices of the last 20 years have transformed that area that once was wheat/fallow/wheat country.