cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

what is everyones cop

Going forward is everyone so mortgaged that we go broke at 8 dollar beans and 3 dollar corn.  Have we as farmers mortgaged of future that much in the runnup.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: what is everyones cop

What ever you say Buck, just let us know. I won't sell $3 corn, I'll feed it.
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

i try to police myself to the best of ability.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

You go first buck. Tell us what your corn and beans have been averaging this year and what your anticipated COP is next year

O that's right. You wouldn't know cause you don't actually engage in production agriculture.

You are what we like to call an ambulance chaser
0 Kudos
Advisor

I'm pretty good on beans and wheat but corn cop is so variable this far north each year.

So, bring on the bear market.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Thoughtless question ----- every location and field has different COP all depending on yield............. which we don't have yet?

What does a mortgage have to do with COP?  Interest is cheap.  Very minor issue compared to fuel, seed and fertilizer costs.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

And it is the 12th of october.  Snow will fly on the last half of this harvest.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

the pieces here are starting to FIT together...............

Frequent Contributor

When a person figures his cashflow he should figure rent on all land not just rented.  Depreciation on tractors, combines and other equipment.  Labor on himself and hired labor.  Then use a APH from at least 5 years back.

The last few years much land and equipment has been paid for and updated.  If we wear it out for free the next few it would seem we are all fools.  

I actually feel that a normal operation in our area will need around 4.40 on corn.  There are obviously some farmers that would have a much lower requirement because of better land with avg higher production. 

80% of the corn is raised by 20% of the farmers.  These farmers are somewhat leveraged as they have all grown in the last 5 years.  The next 5 years they will grow more as the aging farm base will want to quit while the younger farmers are "healthy". 

Honest cashflows don't change much across similiar operations.  Most cashflows are just not honest.

Advisor

why the hostility MT

I have a 53 average tigger.  If you include my presold bushels I am way over my COP and my number to aply to the average individual.  No great white hope here to knock down my yield in the great white north.  When I get my RA insurance figures I will tell you the final numbers.  Well I have to pul hedges too.

0 Kudos