cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

wheat losing ground to corn and beans

up here in the northern plains hard red spring wheat has been the mainstay for generations but is fast being replaced with corn and soybeans. the wheat people claim that there is a better return with corn and beans which is true but as a wheat grower there are some other factors that hurt wheat which are all the discounts! mainly protein content then moisture,falling numbers,scab kernals,test weight, and on and on.....as long as corn and beans keep growing north wheat will become less and less

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: wheat losing ground to corn and beans

Does that mean the HRWW will eventually be grown for a premium?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

yes it will but after spring wheat LOL

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Considering the law of unintended consequences, there was a commentary that spring wheat acres would increase this year and the price was reacting downward. If the weather allows corn and bean planting (beans probably being more successful later) then the price could go back up. But a late spring would probably force out corn is my guess.

In any case i could see a prediction causing an opposite reaction. I tend to be somewhat contrarian to a small degree w/ planting. It is also another area where insurance is altering decisions.

0 Kudos