Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

winter kill in wheat ?

I'm getting reports that some of the
Wheat has already winterkilled. Some
Turned purple, some disappeared.

I was out yesterday, and looked at
Some wheat drilled mid October it
Was there, but didn't see much yesterday.
We were down to 5 degrees, and we
Had a few days where it was cold
And wind blowing, and at that time
I thought about it.

Here we go again.....

Oh yes, things are dry too.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: winter kill in wheat ?

Very conserned about the wheat crop the early planted soft white very thin late planted (late Oct early Nov) cant even see this AM 5 degrees ......Low expetations

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

we finally dried out a bit so I slabbed in about 1/3 of what was planned on a wing and a prayer about 5 weeks ago.

from that point on its been bone dry

some guys planted 2 weeks after we did and some still are

ours started to come up in a few spots but not in others and some areas actually needed a shower to get it up

current prognosis, ITS F-ED UP BAD, got down to zero a few nights

its insured and we will likely end up having to turn it in next spring and likely spray it off and go to soybeans

o well

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Is this the first of wheat' s 9 lives?

Have two farms planted to hrw in nw Kansas

Looked good a month ago.

Have been told still looks ok.

Foot of wet snow would be nice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

We discussed that as well. All depends on rest of winter

IMO it took 3 or 4. At least for hitting the century mark.

See next march
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Looks like the Alba feed barley froze out in Touchet, WA last week. 14 degrees and high wind was just too much for it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I crossed much of the PNW wheat, mainly Wa the last week.

1) When I crossed the summer fallow area 5 days ago I was surprised how much colder the lower country was. We had single digits, no cover at 2600', but wasn't worried about it. It had warmed above freezing as I left and dropped to 18* and foggy in the summer fallow area only 20 miles west and stayed that way across the Columbia basin. Soon as i started climbing to the Cascades west of the Columbia R it was warmer.

2) The summer fallow area had little wheat showing when it should have been 4" high. Apparently it was too dry on the surface during planting and the deep furrow drills didn't hit moisture. And I saw reseeding in places, highly unusual. This initial weather is much like last year though I think it will ultimately be OK though late (I hope). I don't ever remember back to back freeze outs. But I've seldom seen the lower areas behind the higher elevations.

3) More wheat than usual was planted with regular drills instead of deep furrow drills. There must have been some who decided not to plant until moisture came and then drilling into the shallow surface moisture when it finally came. Some seed varieties here will emerge from 5-7" in order to reach moisture when planting.

4) Quite a bit of wheat is susceptible to freeze out. I still think the odds are it will be OK. But not certain.

5) Winter barley is more easily frozen out w/o cover. We used to always get some cover except where it blew away on hilltops or formed a berm on the lee side of hills and smothered it parallel to the ridge before finally melting. We no longer can count on snow cover in the winter. We have consistent weather here but the basic pattern is changing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Winter kill is hard to notice until winter is behind us. Wheat is an amazing crop that will surprise you more times than not. I wouldn't get to worried about winter kill until this spring when it is time to worry about winter kill.
0 Kudos