Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

A Drone By Any Other Name.....

You have probably seen a number of names for those little things that go buzzing around in the sky.  If you end up using them seriously and interact with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), here is what they say:


"What is the difference between an Unmanned Aircraft (UA), an Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS), an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), a Remotely Operated Aircraft (ROA), and a Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS)?

Currently the FAA and most of the international community uses the term "UA" or "UAS" for the UA System. Previously used terms to identify unmanned aircraft are UAV ROA.

The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) considers RPAS distinct from Autonomous RPAS, which do not require human action after takeoff. Both are sub-categories of UAS."


In other words, you can call them anything you want, but if you are looking up regulations or other infromation on them with the FAA, you need to use UAS or UA.

0 Kudos